From: Smooth813 on
Hey everyone,

Essentially my problem boils down to summing baseball innings in a column.
The data I am copying and pasting comes in the standard form of dictating
innings. Instead of saying 1 and 1/3 inning, baseball translates this as 1.1
innings. Similarly, 1 and 2/3 inning is 1.2.

The problem is that when I sum the innings, it treats dictation such as 1.1
as 1 and 1/10 an inning. So, when summing a row, such as the one below, I
get things such as 455.4 innings, which isn't possible in terms of baseball
dictation.

101.2
105
96
89.1
31
33.1

Is there a way to fix this, either by changing the sum back into baseball
dictation or by translating the dictation into a real number? I'm not sure
if there an easy way to go about this so I thought I would ask for your help.

Thanks.

From: Andre C on
Hi,

You can use a helper column B (if your innings data is in column A)
INT(A1)+MOD(A1,1)*10/3 and copy down as needed (say from B1:B10)

However, the sum total will need to be recoverted back to your inning format:
INT(SUM(B1:B10))+ROUND(MOD(SUM(B1:B10),1)*3/10,1)

Hope this helps

André
(A baseball fan living in Australia)

"Smooth813" wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> Essentially my problem boils down to summing baseball innings in a column.
> The data I am copying and pasting comes in the standard form of dictating
> innings. Instead of saying 1 and 1/3 inning, baseball translates this as 1.1
> innings. Similarly, 1 and 2/3 inning is 1.2.
>
> The problem is that when I sum the innings, it treats dictation such as 1.1
> as 1 and 1/10 an inning. So, when summing a row, such as the one below, I
> get things such as 455.4 innings, which isn't possible in terms of baseball
> dictation.
>
> 101.2
> 105
> 96
> 89.1
> 31
> 33.1
>
> Is there a way to fix this, either by changing the sum back into baseball
> dictation or by translating the dictation into a real number? I'm not sure
> if there an easy way to go about this so I thought I would ask for your help.
>
> Thanks.

Pages: 1
Prev: formula help
Next: Lact cell data copied