From: ConfusedAdmin on
I know how to open a Word Perfect document in Word, but when I try to do the
opposite and save a Word document as a Word Perfect file it says the
converter is only for Openning and not saving... Why have the option in the
"Files of types" drop-down? Is this even possible?
From: CyberTaz on
Which version of Word?

Files of Type: is in the Open file dialog & contains the .wpd extension, but
the Save As dialog has a Save As Type: list which doesn't (unless, perhaps,
you've added something?). What converter are you using & what, specifically,
is triggering the message?

At any rate, you may have better success with the filter available from MVP
Graham Mayor's site... about 1/2 way down the page:

http://gmayor.com/downloads.htm
--
HTH |:>)
Bob Jones

From: John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh] on
The WordPerfect converter was changed to be "read-only" by an update a while
ago.

The change was because there was a security issue with the converter and it
was too expensive to fix it.

So the converter USED to be both ways, now, it cannot save.

Sorry :-)

If this is absolutely critical to you, uninstall Microsoft Office completely
(it would be better to create a special machine with a clean install of
Windows). Make sure there is NO internet connection. Then install
Microsoft Office from the original CD.

DO NOT ALLOW IT TO GET ANY UPDATES

The original converter on the CD is read/write :-) As soon as you allow any
service packs or updates onto the machine, the converter will be replaced
with the new version :-)

Cheers

On 19/1/07 8:10 AM, in article
AA975139-320C-4D2B-9B71-9218BEA20B4F(a)microsoft.com, "ConfusedAdmin"
<ConfusedAdmin(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:

> I know how to open a Word Perfect document in Word, but when I try to do the
> opposite and save a Word document as a Word Perfect file it says the
> converter is only for Openning and not saving... Why have the option in the
> "Files of types" drop-down? Is this even possible?

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie <john(a)mcghie.name>
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Business Analyst, Consultant
Technical Writer.
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410

From: Graham Mayor on
I suspect that any security issues relating to this filter are more a matter
of Microsoft erring on the side of caution (perhaps wisely, considering the
flak they have endured in the past about lax security in their products)
than the filter opening a real door to the outside world. Sometimes you have
to run a few risks in order to get work done, and this would be one I would
put in the negligible category.

As Bob has indicated, you can download the old filter from my web site and
install it by means of the supplied registry patch. I think you would find
this simpler, though the end result would be the same - and it is easy
enough to replace if any more updates screw it up again :)

--
Graham Mayor - Word MVP

My web site www.gmayor.com
Word MVP web site http://word.mvps.org