From: Java Jive on
I repeat my question - what was wrong with his post? Because he
swapped the usual order of the 'to' and 'from' phrases, you misread
it, and fired off your reply, didn't you? How dumb do you look now?

It's a mistake that anyone could make on first reading, the difference
between you and the rest of us being that we are not so insecure in
ourselves that the moment we think we see a slip by others that we
feel the need to insult and humiliate them just to make us feel good
about ourselves.

You should be at home with the other losers in my plonk folder ...

From: Yousuf Khan on
J.O. Aho wrote:
> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>> I have my home folder mounted to a reiserfs filesystem. Though reiser is
>> fine as a filesystem, it tends to spew out some informational/warning
>> messages on the console while it's booting up, which interupts the
>> usplash screen.
>
> If it's warnings, then you will most likely have got those regardless of which
> file system you had been using, fix those faults then with reiserfsck.

Warnings is too strong of a word here, they are all just informational,
but still annoying because they break the usplash.

> IMHO ext3 ain't good enough and ext4 is too experimental, you get a better
> file system by picking jfs, xfs or reiserfs.

Personally, I don't care, just as long as there is no annoying
interruptions of the usplash. I use this filesystem as my home
directory, so it gets used fairly occasionally but not intensively. Will
ext3 be better for it or ext4?

Another consideration is that I have an ext2 driver for Windows which I
sometimes use to mount these filesystems while under Windows. The ext2
driver works just fine for ext3 as well, is there changes in ext4 that
will make this impossible?

Yousuf Khan
From: J.O. Aho on
Yousuf Khan wrote:
> J.O. Aho wrote:
>> Yousuf Khan wrote:
>>> I have my home folder mounted to a reiserfs filesystem. Though reiser is
>>> fine as a filesystem, it tends to spew out some informational/warning
>>> messages on the console while it's booting up, which interupts the
>>> usplash screen.
>>
>> If it's warnings, then you will most likely have got those regardless
>> of which
>> file system you had been using, fix those faults then with reiserfsck.
>
> Warnings is too strong of a word here, they are all just informational,
> but still annoying because they break the usplash.

Why not use bootspalsh instead of uspalsh and wouldn't be surprised if usplash
has a simple config option which will not quit itself if there are something
sent to stdout.

> Another consideration is that I have an ext2 driver for Windows which I
> sometimes use to mount these filesystems while under Windows. The ext2
> driver works just fine for ext3 as well, is there changes in ext4 that
> will make this impossible?

ext4 isn't compatible with the old file system, so no the microsoft won't be
able to read it. I should also warn you from doing any modifications to an
ext3 file system while it's mounted as ext2, you will break the journal.

--

//Aho
From: Java Jive on
AIUI, there is no method for undeleting a file in ext3, but there is
using fschk in reiserfs? It's a while since I tried to do this, so I
can't remember the details now. Howeve, this being so, you may wish
to remain on reiserfs. The reasons you give for change seem rather
insubstantial to me.

From: jellybean stonerfish on
On Sun, 17 Jan 2010 11:39:57 -0500, Yousuf Khan wrote:

> Personally, I don't care, just as long as there is no annoying
> interruptions of the usplash. I use this filesystem as my home
> directory, so it gets used fairly occasionally but not intensively. Will
> ext3 be better for it or ext4?

Personally, I disable the boot splash screen and have my systems, and systems
I create for others show the text on the screen while booting. I feel this
makes trouble shooting easier.