From: Mike Gauthier on
I'm trying to convert a crypto map VPN to a ip unnumbered VTI. The crypto
map has been working for months. The VTI... no so much. Here are the
applicable config entries.

### original config
!
crypto isakmp policy 30
encr 3des
authentication pre-share
group 2
!
crypto isakmp key xxxxxxxx address 10.1.1.10
!
crypto ipsec transform-set 3DES-SHA esp-3des esp-sha-hmac
!
crypto map CRYPTO 50 ipsec-isakmp
set peer 10.1.1.10
set transform-set 3DES-SHA
set pfs group2
match address VPN1
!
ip access-list extended VPN1
permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.1
permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.4

I only removed the crypto map and added the following.

### New Config
crypto ipsec profile V1
set security-association lifetime seconds 28800
set transform-set 3DES-SHA
set pfs group2
!
interface Tunnel0
ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
ip nat outside
ip virtual-reassembly
tunnel source 172.16.8.1
tunnel destination 10.1.1.10
tunnel mode ipsec ipv4
tunnel protection ipsec profile V1

I keep getting this ISAKMP error now.

ISAKMP:(0:54:HW:2):deleting SA reason "Recevied fatal informational" state
(I) QM_IDLE (peer 10.1.1.10)

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... I have no idea what is
running on the other end (it's a partner network), but I suspect it's a
crypto map on IOS.

Thank you!

MikeG
From: Darren Green on
On 8 Nov, 17:56, Mike Gauthier <thalio...(a)3cx.org> wrote:
> I'm trying to convert a crypto map VPN to a ip unnumbered VTI. The crypto
> map has been working for months. The VTI... no so much. Here are the
> applicable config entries.
>
> ### original config
> !
> crypto isakmp policy 30
> encr 3des
> authentication pre-share
> group 2
> !
> crypto isakmp key xxxxxxxx address 10.1.1.10
> !
> crypto ipsec transform-set 3DES-SHA esp-3des esp-sha-hmac
> !
> crypto map CRYPTO 50 ipsec-isakmp
> set peer 10.1.1.10
> set transform-set 3DES-SHA
> set pfs group2
> match address VPN1
> !
> ip access-list extended VPN1
> permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.1
> permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.4
>
> I only removed the crypto map and added the following.
>
> ### New Config
> crypto ipsec profile V1
> set security-association lifetime seconds 28800
> set transform-set 3DES-SHA
> set pfs group2
> !
> interface Tunnel0
> ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
> ip nat outside
> ip virtual-reassembly
> tunnel source 172.16.8.1
> tunnel destination 10.1.1.10
> tunnel mode ipsec ipv4
> tunnel protection ipsec profile V1
>
> I keep getting this ISAKMP error now.
>
> ISAKMP:(0:54:HW:2):deleting SA reason "Recevied fatal informational" state
> (I) QM_IDLE (peer 10.1.1.10)
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... I have no idea what is
> running on the other end (it's a partner network), but I suspect it's a
> crypto map on IOS.
>
> Thank you!
>
> MikeG

Mike,

Hi.

Before you go any further I would recommend that you find out what you
are connecting to.

Using VTI's is different from using static crypto maps. On a VTI you
do not define (AFAIK) a crypto ACL. Using a VTI is like saying permit
ip any any in a crypto acl.

On the remote end if they are running e.g a PIX or router with a
standard crypto map, there will be a crypto-acl which you should be
mirroring, I suspect this is not the case though.

Any reason why you wanted to use a VTI ?

Regards

Darren

From: Merv on

You may want to compare debug isakmp form working and non-working
setups:

1. post show version and show interface tu 0

2. return to original config

3. capture debug isakmp sa

4.configure IPSEC profile with crypto map

5. capture debug isakmp sa with this setup

6. config new config with VTI setup

7.capture debug isakmp sa with this setup

In main mode, there will be an exchange of 6 IIKE packets.

>From the debugs you should see how far you are getting

The VTI tunnel interface will not come up until the SA are built
(i.e it will be in up - down state)

From: Mike Gauthier on
On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 09:38:02 -0800, Darren Green wrote:

> On 8 Nov, 17:56, Mike Gauthier <thalio...(a)3cx.org> wrote:
>> I'm trying to convert a crypto map VPN to a ip unnumbered VTI. The
>> crypto map has been working for months. The VTI... no so much. Here are
>> the applicable config entries.
>>
>> ### original config
>> !
>> crypto isakmp policy 30
>> encr 3des
>> authentication pre-share
>> group 2
>> !
>> crypto isakmp key xxxxxxxx address 10.1.1.10 !
>> crypto ipsec transform-set 3DES-SHA esp-3des esp-sha-hmac !
>> crypto map CRYPTO 50 ipsec-isakmp
>> set peer 10.1.1.10
>> set transform-set 3DES-SHA
>> set pfs group2
>> match address VPN1
>> !
>> ip access-list extended VPN1
>> permit ip host 172.16.16.10 host 10.5.5.1 permit ip host 172.16.16.10
>> host 10.5.5.4
>>
>> I only removed the crypto map and added the following.
>>
>> ### New Config
>> crypto ipsec profile V1
>> set security-association lifetime seconds 28800 set transform-set
>> 3DES-SHA
>> set pfs group2
>> !
>> interface Tunnel0
>> ip unnumbered FastEthernet0/0
>> ip nat outside
>> ip virtual-reassembly
>> tunnel source 172.16.8.1
>> tunnel destination 10.1.1.10
>> tunnel mode ipsec ipv4
>> tunnel protection ipsec profile V1
>>
>> I keep getting this ISAKMP error now.
>>
>> ISAKMP:(0:54:HW:2):deleting SA reason "Recevied fatal informational"
>> state (I) QM_IDLE (peer 10.1.1.10)
>>
>> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also... I have no idea what is
>> running on the other end (it's a partner network), but I suspect it's a
>> crypto map on IOS.
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> MikeG
>
> Mike,
>
> Hi.
>
> Before you go any further I would recommend that you find out what you
> are connecting to.
>
> Using VTI's is different from using static crypto maps. On a VTI you do
> not define (AFAIK) a crypto ACL. Using a VTI is like saying permit ip
> any any in a crypto acl.
>
> On the remote end if they are running e.g a PIX or router with a
> standard crypto map, there will be a crypto-acl which you should be
> mirroring, I suspect this is not the case though.
>
> Any reason why you wanted to use a VTI ?
>
> Regards
>
> Darren

Actually, not knowing what's on the other end is part of the exercise.
My employer has thought it a good idea to offer VPN connectivity to our
clients. Clients can mean a large corporation and a proper networking
team, but mostly it means a small to medium sized business with limited
network skills. Then... there can also be a language barrier as we're a
global company.

I understand what you mean about not having a crypto ACL on a VTI. There
is a permit ip any any (you'll see it if you do a show crypto sesseion),
but you can apply an ACL to the tun interface to simulate one. This is
how I suspect one would mirror the crypto ACL.

I want to use a VTI for monitoring purposes. Since it is an interface,
it can be monitored (both state and bandwith). I'm trying to make what
could turn into a large number of VPNs much easier for our support team
to support. With a VTI, we can show support a green or red light per VPN
tunnel. We can't really do that with a crypto map (that I'm aware of).

Thanks for the reply BTW. Appreciate it Farren.

Regards,

MikeG
From: Mike Gauthier on

--
Router#sho ver
Cisco IOS Software, 2800 Software (C2800NM-ADVIPSERVICESK9-M), Version

ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.4(13r)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

qsv-cvpnc1 uptime is 3 days, 15 hours, 28 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload at 00:39:57 UTC Thu Nov 8 2007
System image file is "flash:c2800nm-advipservicesk9-mz.124-12.bin"

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United
States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and
use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply
third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.
Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for
compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you
agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable
to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be
found at:
http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to
export(a)cisco.com.

Cisco 2811 (revision 53.50) with 249856K/12288K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FTX1048A3RX
2 FastEthernet interfaces
2 Serial interfaces
2 Virtual Private Network (VPN) Modules
DRAM configuration is 64 bits wide with parity enabled.
62720K bytes of ATA CompactFlash (Read/Write)

Configuration register is 0x2102
--

Can't do a show int tun0 right now because...

> 2. return to original config

.. . .I've done just this.

> 3. capture debug isakmp sa

I did that, but the only error I was seeing was