From: Skylamar Jones on
Is there a reason why whenever I choose "Copy Link" in Mail, the copied
email address always includes a "mailto:" tag? ? Aren't mailto tags HTML
code that are used for putting email links in websites? I'd love to be
able to copy a link without having the tag.
From: nospam on
In article <skylamar-15100D.00333810082010(a)free.teranews.com>, Skylamar
Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason why whenever I choose "Copy Link" in Mail, the copied
> email address always includes a "mailto:" tag? ? Aren't mailto tags HTML
> code that are used for putting email links in websites? I'd love to be
> able to copy a link without having the tag.

because that's the standard way to denote a link, whether it's email,
web site, ftp site, etc.
From: Wayne C. Morris on
In article <skylamar-15100D.00333810082010(a)free.teranews.com>,
Skylamar Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason why whenever I choose "Copy Link" in Mail, the copied
> email address always includes a "mailto:" tag? ? Aren't mailto tags HTML
> code that are used for putting email links in websites? I'd love to be
> able to copy a link without having the tag.

No, "mailto:" is not HTML code. It marks it as an URL, and specifically an
email address. In other programs, the "mailto:" prefix often makes it a
clickable link. In TextEdit, for example, you can right-click or control-click
a "mailto:" link and choose Open URL to send an email to that address using your
email program; this works even in plain unformatted text documents.

If you're pasting it into an input box that specifically requires an email
address, like the "TO:" or "CC:", box in your email program, you should remove
the "mailto:". Otherwise, including the prefix may be a good idea.