From: Daave on
Good point. As a home user, I certainly wouldn't pay anything.

Then again, I would imagine some ISPs offer Norton at no extra cost.

From: Gerry on
The thought Leonard did not cross my mind.

--

Gerry
~~~~

From: Gerry on
Daave

I may be a cynic but is that really free?

--

Gerry
~~~~

From: Daave on
It depends on whether or not you plan on switching to an ISP that
doesn't offer that particular program at no extra charge.

So if I subscribe to Acme Internet and they offer me Internet service
and Norton at no extra cost, it would cost me the same as if I chose not
to use it.

Of course, I could shop around and find another provider. So *if* I were
able to find comparable service for less money but they didn't offer the
"free" Norton program, it would then behoove me to use a program like
Avira. But that wasn't my original scenario. :-)

So if you like your ISP and have no intention on finding another, then
yes, _for all intents and purposes_, Norton (if they offer it at no
extra charge) would cost you the same amount as Avira. Calling it free
is semantic (or Symantec!). Of course we all know that TINSTAAFL.

From: smlunatick on
On Jan 19, 8:36 pm, Leonard Grey <l.g...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> I never thought I would ever say this, but here goes...
>
> For years, I was a card-carrying (Gold Card) member of the Norton Haters
> Club. And for good reason.
>
> Then, just for the heck of it, I tried Norton Internet Security 2009.
> My, what a difference. Like Marie Osmond before and after Nutrisystem.
> Other things I hated about Symantec - technical support, heavy
> footprint, built-in advertising, trouble uninstalling - were no longer
> problems. I looked for things to hate about NIS 2009, but couldn't find any.
>
> And, for the record, the software runs on my soon-to-be replaced 7-year
> old P4 2.26GHz 1GB of RAM computer. I am impressed.
>
> I'm currently using NAV 2010, and really liking it. So let those rotton
> vegetables fly in the general direction of my face...I can take it.
>
> PS #1: I'm using NAV instead of NIS because of a personal choice I made
> with respect to third-party firewalls.
>
> PS #2: I may have converted to NAV personally, but I don't recommend any
> software product to anyone. Everyone has to make their own decision, is
> my view.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est
>
> Gerry wrote:
> > Like others I would dump Norton for a freeware option.
>
> > The capacity of the hard drive has no direct performance implication. It
> > may indirectly make defragmentation easier, particularly when the drive
> > is first replaced. You can get hard drives with slower read / write
> > speeds. Commonly desktop hard drives are 7,200 RPM but older drives were
> > less. Laptop hard drives are commonly 5,400 RPM to conserve the battery..
> > More in this link:
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_disk_drive

I was a "platinum card carrying" loyal Norton user until Norton
Internet Security 2009 "screwed" up my XP system last March. Norton
"on-line" support agent then had the "gall" to "yank" all the Norton
softwares with the NRT tool with out first uninstalling them. This
then rendered my PC to a "paper weight" since XP was no longer
working. Only a reinstall was able to fix this.

Norton security software / anti-virus are "hi jack" software. These
take over and forces your traffic thru the Norton "monitoring" system.

Norton will not be returning to my systems for the foreseeable future.