From: jcage on
On Mar 22, 10:32 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> Is the computer fully-patched at Windows Update?

> subscription current?  What anti-spyware applications (other than Defender)?
> What third-party firewall (if any)?  Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE7 (and/or SP3)?

> computer (e.g., a free-trial version that came preinstalled when you bought
> it)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> jc...(a)lycos.com wrote:
> > I ended up with a pretty significant malware attack on my XPpro
> > machine and all is pretty much back to where it was, other than
> > Internet Explorer 7.  I've tried registry scanners or cleaners, tried
> > the MS solution for uninstall and reinstall (or fix), and tried the
> > sure fire tool I found here:
> >http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-internet-explorer-with-fix-ie-ut...
>
> > When I attempt to open IE, I get the "Internet Explorer has
> > encountered a problem and needs to close" message w/Debug and Close as
> > options.  Frankly, I've put so much work into trying to repair it that
> > I'm about through and may just live with other browsers but it does
> > kind of bug me in just not having it working so if there were an easy
> > approach to getting it stable and working again, I'd like to give it a
> > try.  I'm assuming re-installing v7 isn't one of those and downloading
> > and installing vIE8 may not be viable.  Kind of frustrating so I
> > thought I'd post here for any ideas...
>
> > TIA

It's running SP2 but not 'fully patched'. Being fully patched with a
MSOS tends to be a long and winding road. Currently I'm running
PCTools SpyDoctor w/their firewall and what used to be Advanced
Registry Optimizer (but now is Advanced System Optimizer) that comes
with Malware/Spyware scanners as well, and Avira premium anti-virus.
Everything on the system is working well other than IE7. And as to
having to do a system rebuild, sounds like the popular analogy is
similar to the girl who went out on ya - you can never trust 'em
again... lol I've been thinking about updgrading the HDD on
this system and might do a complete rebuild when that time comes.
Kinda back to that analogy, a question comes back to what files to
back up. If you really wanted to be *sure*, you wouldn't take
anything with ya to the new system... ;-)

It crashed when my kid was using it and apparently the only thing I
had actively running was AVG anti-virus. Whatever kind of attack it
was, decimated the AVG. At the time, I only had one gig of ram so had
my Spyware Doctor shut off because there was some graphics intensive
work I was doing. So kind of a combination of the three perhaps, I
had an older version of Zonalarm firewall running, w/no Spyware Doctor
and AVG when he happened across some site. I've since beefed up the
ram and keep numerous things running in the system tray at once and
frequently run scans and associated updates. For all intents and
purposes, I was in pretty good shape computer-wise until the tough
times caused my kid to move back in with me and then where he went
online, started my woes.
From: Leonard Grey on
"...It's running SP2 but not 'fully patched'..."

"...Currently I'm running...what used to be Advanced Registry Optimizer
but now is Advanced System Optimizer)..."

Live by the sword, die by the sword.
---
Leonard Grey
Errare humanum est

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Nuke & pave the sucker!

From: jcage on
On Mar 23, 7:09 am, Leonard Grey <l.g...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> "...It's running SP2 but not 'fully patched'..."
>
> "...Currently I'm running...what used to be Advanced Registry Optimizer
> but now is Advanced System Optimizer)..."
>
> Live by the sword, die by the sword.
> ---
> Leonard Grey
> Errare humanum est

Not sure I follow ya. Everything I've mentioned is the paid version
and received pretty high reviews around the net.
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
jcage(a)lycos.com wrote:
> On Mar 23, 7:09 am, Leonard Grey <l.g...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
>> "...It's running SP2 but not 'fully patched'..."
>>
>> "...Currently I'm running...what used to be Advanced Registry Optimizer
>> but now is Advanced System Optimizer)..."
>
> Not sure I follow ya. Everything I've mentioned is the paid version
> and received pretty high reviews around the net.

Injudicious use of Advanced Registry Optimizer and its ilk may have caused
your problem. If you ever think your Registry needs to be cleaned,
repaired, boosted, tuned-up, cured, tweaked, or optimized (it doesn't), read
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?t=28099 and draw your own conclusions.

Extended Support for WinXP (x86) SP2 ends on 13 July 2010. After that date,
computers running WinXP (x86) SP2 will NOT be offered any further critical
security updates, Automatic Updates will not work, and Windows Update
website will not be accessible until SP3 is installed.

What does it mean if my version of Windows is no longer supported?
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/what-does-end-of-support-mean