From: Chuck on
On 12/23/2008 11:25 PM, Kent_Diego wrote:
> I have noticed that when I transferred files over my LAN that they
> sometimes became corrupted. I found it was the NIC in my main computer
> causing problem. It is an ASUS P5B motherboard with onboard Atheros L1
> Gigabit Ethernet 100/100/1000Base-T adapter. I had Vista x64 look for
> newer drivers and a newer driver was found but I still had corruption of
> files leaving computer. After much searching I found the suggestion of
> setting Task Offload=off in the driver settings fixed the problem.
> Turning off Task Offload seems to have cut the gigabit LAN transfer
> speed by half but it is still better than having corrupted files. I am
> posting this fix to help anyone else with this trouble. Has anyone else
> had this problem with the NIC's in an ASUS motherboard? I am guessing
> Atheros is not a very good NIC brand as I have never had a problem like
> this before.

Decent NIC adapters are cheap enough to buy. I'd turn off the on-board
adapter, and install the new adapter as a test. If it solves the
problem, well and good. If not--

You might want to check the grounding of the A/C power at both ends of
the ethernet system. We have found that some strange symptoms can occur
when the grounding is not good, and the equipment at the ends are
supplied from different A/C power sources. (Different branch circuits,
opposite leg of a "split phase", etc.)

Another possibility is a long run with older cable types, or mis-paired
cable. I've run across this in even pre-assembled cables.
We have one HP Server (older unit, runs 2003 Win server) that has driver
problems at 1G. We had to put it behind a 10/100 switch to get around
the problem, which occurs when Linux is in use. The 10/100 switch feeds
a 1G router switch. This prevents the driver from attempting to work at 1G.

Remember that windows is not a "real time" ops system. As a result, it's
remotely possible that a high priority event is causing the problem.
Such things as "scans", for instance.