From: greysky on
It's time for me to be looking for something to replace my current
motherboard... which has a short circuit somewhere in it. I'm looking for a
Core I7, but I don't know if I should go with a 1366 part which has a locked
multiplier, or go for a 1156 part with an unlocked multiplier. I guess I'm
sorta leaning towards the 1366 so I can put 3 banks of memory in it instead
of two, but I don't know if its really an advantage or not. Some of the
motherboards I've looked at are kinda high end X58 boards like the ROC
rampage 3, or the ASUS P6T deluxe V2, and the P6T7 supercomputer... Anyway,
any thoughts welcome!

TIA!

From: Foke on
On Fri, 2 Jul 2010 13:23:04 -0700, "greysky" <ftlsite(a)hotmail.com> wrote:

>It's time for me to be looking for something to replace my current
>motherboard... which has a short circuit somewhere in it. I'm looking for a
>Core I7, but I don't know if I should go with a 1366 part which has a locked
>multiplier, or go for a 1156 part with an unlocked multiplier. I guess I'm
>sorta leaning towards the 1366 so I can put 3 banks of memory in it instead
>of two, but I don't know if its really an advantage or not. Some of the
>motherboards I've looked at are kinda high end X58 boards like the ROC
>rampage 3, or the ASUS P6T deluxe V2, and the P6T7 supercomputer... Anyway,
>any thoughts welcome!

You can check out my reply to "R" that I just posted. My understanding is
that triple vs dual channel isn't much of an advantage outside of
synthetic benchmarks.
From: Oldish Git on

"greysky" <ftlsite(a)hotmail.com> wrote in message
> It's time for me to be looking for something to replace my current
> motherboard... which has a short circuit somewhere in it. I'm looking for
> a Core I7, but I don't know if I should go with a 1366 part which has a
> locked multiplier, or go for a 1156 part with an unlocked multiplier. I
> guess I'm sorta leaning towards the 1366 so I can put 3 banks of memory in
> it instead of two, but I don't know if its really an advantage or not.
> Some of the motherboards I've looked at are kinda high end X58 boards like
> the ROC rampage 3, or the ASUS P6T deluxe V2, and the P6T7
> supercomputer... Anyway, any thoughts welcome!
>
> TIA!

If it helps, I'm very happy with the P6TD2 running an i7-920 & 3x2GB RAM.
I chose this for easy over-clocking (running the 920 at 3.9GHz with Corsair
H50-1 watercooler) and good SATA support (2xSSD in RAID0 as boot,
4x2TB in RAID 10 for data + eSATA for external backup.)
Completely stable under win7x64 for about 8 months now, running
compute-intensive multi-core capable applications (image processing.)
Not much advantage in having 3 banks of memory IMO unless you are
after squeezing every last ounce of speed out of your applications, as it
will only be a few percent at best. Having 6 slots might be useful if you
want
to max-out on RAM though.
HTH,
--