From: RussellE on
On Dec 14, 7:00 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <8bec1657-039e-4c80-b153-a025e0182...(a)v30g2000yqm.googlegroups..com>,
>
> cplxphil  <cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Dec 14, 12:51 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> >> In article
> >> <e3f7a638-85cd-4cca-bc16-30aacb3a6...(a)j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

> >> Possible, yes.  Plausible, not so much.
>
> >Why not?
>
> For me to label something "plausible," I need some positive evidence in that
> direction.  I see very little positive evidence that P = NP.

I think there is a lot of positive evidence that P = NP might be true.

Many NP problems, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.

Even most NP-Complete instances, like 3SAT, can be solved in polytime.
Most solvable 3SAT instances can be solved in polytime by a random
guessing algorithm. Only a small class of 3SAT instances are "hard".

If all NP-Complete problems were "hard", we wouldn't have commercial
SAT solvers.

Last, but not least, no one has proven P =/= NP.
So far, I see no reason why P = NP can't be true.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count
From: tchow on
In article <0a2491d0-d80f-49fa-98f2-f4fcd152a04f(a)e4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
RussellE <reasterly(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>I think there is a lot of positive evidence that P = NP might be true.

I'm afraid I don't find your arguments convincing.

>Many NP problems, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.

Many problems in EXPTIME, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.

>Even most NP-Complete instances, like 3SAT, can be solved in polytime.
>Most solvable 3SAT instances can be solved in polytime by a random
>guessing algorithm. Only a small class of 3SAT instances are "hard".

Average-case complexity doesn't say much about worst-case complexity,
which is what the P = NP question is about.

>If all NP-Complete problems were "hard", we wouldn't have commercial
>SAT solvers.

That's absurd. If a problem is hard but important, then people will do the
best they can. Perhaps you just mean that if all NP-complete problems were
hard on average then commercial SAT solvers would do poorly all the time.
That might be true, but it's irrelevant to the question of worst-case
complexity.

>Last, but not least, no one has proven P =/= NP.

True enough. But nobody has proven P = NP either, so I don't see this fact
as positive evidence for either direction.

>So far, I see no reason why P = NP can't be true.

Neither can I. That wasn't the question. The question was not whether
P = NP *could* be true, but whether there was any *positive evidence* for
it. You haven't presented any.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: RussellE on
On Dec 16, 6:42 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <0a2491d0-d80f-49fa-98f2-f4fcd152a...(a)e4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> RussellE  <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I think there is a lot of positive evidence that P = NP might be true.
>
> I'm afraid I don't find your arguments convincing.
>
> >Many NP problems, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.
>
> Many problems in EXPTIME, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.
>
> >Even most NP-Complete instances, like 3SAT, can be solved in polytime.
> >Most solvable 3SAT instances can be solved in polytime by a random
> >guessing algorithm. Only a small class of 3SAT instances are "hard".
>
> Average-case complexity doesn't say much about worst-case complexity,
> which is what the P = NP question is about.

We can't even define "worst case complexity" for 3SAT.
A 3SAT instance that is hard for one solver might be easily solved
by a different solver. We do know that instances with a certain
variable to clause ratio tend to be more difficult, but even this
tells us nothing about how "hard" a specific instance might be.

This inability to even define "worst case" is one reason I
find the P=NP problem interesting.

> >If all NP-Complete problems were "hard", we wouldn't have commercial
> >SAT solvers.
>
> That's absurd.  If a problem is hard but important, then people will do the
> best they can.

"The best they can" turns out to be pretty good. Modern SAT solvers
can find satisfying assignments very quickly for most instances.

> Perhaps you just mean that if all NP-complete problems were
> hard on average then commercial SAT solvers would do poorly all the time.
> That might be true, but it's irrelevant to the question of worst-case
> complexity.

I would say we have already proven P=NP for all practical purposes.
Yes, there are "small" 3SAT instance (300 variables) that can't be
solved by modern SAT solvers in a "reasonable" time.
But, such instances are the exception, not the rule. SAT solvers can
and have solved instances with 10,000 variables.

Even the "hard" 300 variable instances can be solved if we are
willing
to wait long enough. Polynomial doesn't necessarily mean efficient.
N^10 is polynomial, but I wouldn't want to wait for a solver to do
300^10
operations.

> >Last, but not least, no one has proven P =/= NP.
>
> True enough.  But nobody has proven P = NP either, so I don't see this fact
> as positive evidence for either direction.

I agree. The lack of a proof ether way doesn't tell us much.
And I agree there are reasons to suspect P=/=NP. Like you,
I have read a number of "proofs" of P=/=NP. I even have one myself.
I think I can prove 3SAT can't be converted to 2SAT. Some 3SAT
instances can't even be converted to a polynomial number of 2SAT
instances.

This still doesn't rule out the possibility of finding one satisfying
assignment in polynomial time.

As for positive evidence for P=NP, I would look at the published lower
bounds.
These bounds are already quite low (but still exponential) and new
lower bounds are being published all the time.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count

From: cplxphil on
On Dec 17, 3:21 pm, RussellE <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Dec 16, 6:42 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
>

> > In article <0a2491d0-d80f-49fa-98f2-f4fcd152a...(a)e4g2000prn.googlegroups.com>,
>
> > RussellE  <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > >I think there is a lot of positive evidence that P = NP might be true.
>
> > I'm afraid I don't find your arguments convincing.
>
> > >Many NP problems, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.
>
> > Many problems in EXPTIME, like 2SAT, have known polynomial algorithms.
>
> > >Even most NP-Complete instances, like 3SAT, can be solved in polytime.
> > >Most solvable 3SAT instances can be solved in polytime by a random
> > >guessing algorithm. Only a small class of 3SAT instances are "hard".
>
> > Average-case complexity doesn't say much about worst-case complexity,
> > which is what the P = NP question is about.
>
> We can't even define "worst case complexity" for 3SAT.
> A 3SAT instance that is hard for one solver might be easily solved
> by a different solver. We do know that instances with a certain
> variable to clause ratio tend to be more difficult, but even this
> tells us nothing about how "hard" a specific instance might be.
>
> This inability to even define "worst case" is one reason I
> find the P=NP problem interesting.

Worst-case complexity is definitely defined. The fact that we don't
know what it is is the reason why P = NP remains unresolved.

> > >If all NP-Complete problems were "hard", we wouldn't have commercial
> > >SAT solvers.
>
> > That's absurd.  If a problem is hard but important, then people will do the
> > best they can.
>
> "The best they can" turns out to be pretty good. Modern SAT solvers
> can find satisfying assignments very quickly for most instances.

That is irrelevant. The problem is that most of the SAT instances
people really care about--e.g., the ones generated for cryptographic
purposes--cannot be solved. "Most instances" is essentially
meaningless. The P = NP problem is to find a single algorithm that
decides *all* SAT instances in polynomial time.

> > Perhaps you just mean that if all NP-complete problems were
> > hard on average then commercial SAT solvers would do poorly all the time.
> > That might be true, but it's irrelevant to the question of worst-case
> > complexity.
>
> I would say we have already proven P=NP for all practical purposes.
> Yes, there are "small" 3SAT instance (300 variables) that can't be
> solved by modern SAT solvers in a "reasonable" time.
> But, such instances are the exception, not the rule. SAT solvers can
> and have solved instances with 10,000 variables.
>
> Even the "hard" 300 variable instances can be solved if we are
> willing
> to wait long enough. Polynomial doesn't necessarily mean efficient.

....if we are willing to wait long enough? What?

No, polynomial-bounded doesn't necessarily mean efficient; but it does
have a definition.

> N^10 is polynomial, but I wouldn't want to wait for a solver to do
> 300^10
> operations.
>
> > >Last, but not least, no one has proven P =/= NP.
>
> > True enough.  But nobody has proven P = NP either, so I don't see this fact
> > as positive evidence for either direction.
>
> I agree. The lack of a proof ether way doesn't tell us much.
> And I agree there are reasons to suspect P=/=NP. Like you,
> I have read a number of "proofs" of P=/=NP. I even have one myself.
> I think I can prove 3SAT can't be converted to 2SAT. Some 3SAT
> instances can't even be converted to a polynomial number of 2SAT
> instances.
>
> This still doesn't rule out the possibility of finding one satisfying
> assignment in polynomial time.

As you said above, polynomial doesn't mean efficient.

> As for positive evidence for P=NP, I would look at the published lower
> bounds.
> These bounds are already quite low (but still exponential) and new
> lower bounds are being published all the time.

You mean upper bounds, right?

> Russell
> - 2 many 2 count

Have you read and understood Stephen Cook's paper on the P vs. NP
problem? If not, it's a good first step. That is how I first got
introduced to the problem.

Here is a link:

http://www.claymath.org/millennium/P_vs_NP/

It's not my intent to insult you, but you don't sound like you
understand even the basics of the P vs. NP problem. You would
probably benefit greatly from doing some more reading and keeping an
open mind. It is a very fascinating problem.

-Phil
From: Joshua Cranmer on
On 12/17/2009 04:36 PM, cplxphil wrote:
>> "The best they can" turns out to be pretty good. Modern SAT solvers
>> can find satisfying assignments very quickly for most instances.
>>

> That is irrelevant. The problem is that most of the SAT instances
> people really care about--e.g., the ones generated for cryptographic
> purposes--cannot be solved. "Most instances" is essentially
> meaningless. The P = NP problem is to find a single algorithm that
> decides *all* SAT instances in polynomial time.

Cryptography purposefully tries to find hard instances of problems. I
can find a factor of 2/3 of all numbers in two steps: try dividing by 2
and then try dividing by 3. The problem space of "hard" numbers to
factors is relatively tiny compared to the general scope of integers.

Many NP-complete problems filter down to common practical applications:
traveling salesman (circuit board design), graph coloring (compiling
code), etc. For these applications, the pathological cases are much
rarer. So, "most" is generally good enough for practical purposes. I'm
specifically excluding the choice of cryptography when I'm referring to
"practical" in this case.

> It's not my intent to insult you, but you don't sound like you
> understand even the basics of the P vs. NP problem. You would
> probably benefit greatly from doing some more reading and keeping an
> open mind. It is a very fascinating problem.

I suspect he understands it, perhaps in greater detail than you do. He's
just pointing out that there exists sufficiently fast and correct
algorithms for many problems for most uses. Theoretically optimal isn't
always the practically most efficient (the exponential-time algorithms
for primality testing work better than the polynomial-time, IIRC).

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth