From: tchow on
In article <cf7e961f-e6a8-41ff-a22b-e54843b9c091(a)13g2000prl.googlegroups.com>,
RussellE <reasterly(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>If my algorithm is O(n^10), there is a big difference between
>307^10 and 4096^10. Of course, I can always hope the
>computers keep getting faster.
>

>Russell
>- 2 many 2 count

"2 many 2 count" must refer to the number of your non sequiturs.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: RussellE on
On Dec 18, 4:58 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <bde98507-fb9f-4a37-8d0f-7d95aa57e...(a)u16g2000pru.googlegroups..com>,
>
> RussellE  <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Assume I create every 3SAT instance with 10 variables and
> >run all of them through a commercial SAT solver.
> >I find the hardest instance required 293,142 steps.
> >Would this prove P=NP because the worst case
> >instance required O(10^5) steps?
>
> That question is not even wrong.

The OP asked why I put "polynomial" in quotes.
Assume I have a solver that simply tries every
possible assignment.

This algorithm solves any 10 variable instance
in, at most, 1024 steps or O(n^4).
It solves any 11 variable instance in O(n^4) steps.
In fact, for any fixed number of variables, my
algorithm solves any instance with that many
variables in "polynomial" time.

Of course, the "polynomial" grows as the
number of variables grows. Even so,
this simple algorithm proves P=NP for

From: Joshua Cranmer on
On 12/18/2009 07:58 PM, tchow(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> I don't know if Joshua Cranmer is still tracking this thread, but if you
> are, what do you think of Russell's understanding of P = NP versus Phil's
> understanding, given what Russell says here?

I said 'perhaps.' I tend not to dwell too much in this newsgroup, so I
have a very poor sense of recurring posters. Extrapolation is always
fraught with problems.

tried it. -- Donald E. Knuth
From: tchow on
In article <2989ba22-9721-4cfd-82de-30dd4dd2ff64(a)x25g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
RussellE <reasterly(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>this simple algorithm proves P=NP for
>any fixed number of variables.

And that answer is not even wrong.
From: RussellE on
On Dec 18, 7:50 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <2989ba22-9721-4cfd-82de-30dd4dd2f...(a)x25g2000prf.googlegroups..com>,
>
> RussellE  <reaste...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >this simple algorithm proves P=NP for
> >any fixed number of variables.
>
> And that answer is not even wrong.

The original poster asked if there was any evidence
P = NP might be true. I know most people
think P =/= NP. I am not one of those people.
I won't be too surprised if someone does prove
P =/= NP, but history is full examples where
most people were wrong about some proof.

Reasons P = NP might be true:

1) We can prove P=NP for any fixed number
of variables.

2) Some classes of NP problems, like 2SAT
and Horn clauses, have polynomial algorithms.

3) We can pretty much prove P=NP for
AVERAGE case complexity.

The best upper bounds we currently have
on complexity may be exponential,
but they are still quite low.
It would be nice if we could find a
polynomial bound, but a proof of P=NP
might not give us much of an improvement
over existing methods.

Theorist are always interested in worst case.
The people that actually use this stuff are
usually more interested in average case.
(except cryptographers).

Right at the moment, I think the speed of
our computers is more of a limiting factor
on the size of problems we can solve than
the lack of "good" algorithms.

Russell
- 2 many 2 count