From: cplxphil on

Most people seem to think that P = NP is almost certainly false. I
was wondering about a possible scenario where P = NP might be true.

Generally speaking, it seems that in order to prove that a decision
problem belongs to a certain complexity class, one has to find an
algorithm to solve it. For example, I would imagine it would be
difficult to prove that the shortest path problem can be solved in
polynomial time without demonstrating an algorithm (or the equivalent,
such as a query) to solve it.

What if P = NP is true, but every algorithm that solves an NP-
complete in polynomial time is a) really bad (e.g., O(n^1000000000)
or something), and b) impossible to prove correct--that is, for every
machine M that decides SAT in polynomial time, there does not exist a
proof that M solves SAT in polynomial time?

Then, the reason that P = NP is so hard to resolve would be not that
there are diagonalization and natural proof barriers to proving it
false, but rather that there is a barrier to proving it true.

Does this seem plausible?

-Phil

(I am aware of the multi-tasking algorithm that provably accepts SAT
iff P = NP, but I don't think it's definitely possible to prove that
any algorithm actually *decides* SAT without proving that ZFC is
consistent, which cannot be done.)
From: tchow on
In article <e3f7a638-85cd-4cca-bc16-30aacb3a67c3(a)j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
cplxphil <cplxphil(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>Then, the reason that P = NP is so hard to resolve would be not that
>there are diagonalization and natural proof barriers to proving it
>false, but rather that there is a barrier to proving it true.
>
>Does this seem plausible?

Possible, yes. Plausible, not so much.

By the way, there do exist cases where we know that a polynomial-time
algorithm exists but have not exhibited an algorithm. The most notable
examples come from graph minor theory. From Robertson and Seymour's
graph minor theorem, plus the fact that testing for the presence of a
given minor is solvable in polynomial time, we know that any hereditary
graph property is checkable in polynomial time. But to exhibit the
algorithm, we have to exhibit the finite list of forbidden minors, and
there is no general method of computing that list.
--
Tim Chow tchow-at-alum-dot-mit-dot-edu
The range of our projectiles---even ... the artillery---however great, will
From: cplxphil on
On Dec 14, 12:51 pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
> In article <e3f7a638-85cd-4cca-bc16-30aacb3a6...(a)j14g2000yqm.googlegroups..com>,
>
> cplxphil  <cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >Then, the reason that P = NP is so hard to resolve would be not that
> >there are diagonalization and natural proof barriers to proving it
> >false, but rather that there is a barrier to proving it true.
>
> >Does this seem plausible?
>
> Possible, yes.  Plausible, not so much.

Why not?

> By the way, there do exist cases where we know that a polynomial-time
> algorithm exists but have not exhibited an algorithm.  The most notable
> examples come from graph minor theory.  From Robertson and Seymour's
> graph minor theorem, plus the fact that testing for the presence of a
> given minor is solvable in polynomial time, we know that any hereditary
> graph property is checkable in polynomial time.  But to exhibit the
> algorithm, we have to exhibit the finite list of forbidden minors, and
> there is no general method of computing that list.

That is interesting, I'll look into that. Thanks.

-Phil
From: Casey Hawthorne on
On Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:25:05 -0800 (PST), cplxphil
<cplxphil(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>Most people seem to think that P = NP is almost certainly false. I
>was wondering about a possible scenario where P = NP might be true.
>
>Generally speaking, it seems that in order to prove that a decision
>problem belongs to a certain complexity class, one has to find an
>algorithm to solve it. For example, I would imagine it would be
>difficult to prove that the shortest path problem can be solved in
>polynomial time without demonstrating an algorithm (or the equivalent,
>such as a query) to solve it.
>
>What if P = NP is true, but every algorithm that solves an NP-
>complete in polynomial time is a) really bad (e.g., O(n^1000000000)
>or something), and b) impossible to prove correct--that is, for every
>machine M that decides SAT in polynomial time, there does not exist a
>proof that M solves SAT in polynomial time?
>
>Then, the reason that P = NP is so hard to resolve would be not that
>there are diagonalization and natural proof barriers to proving it
>false, but rather that there is a barrier to proving it true.
>
>Does this seem plausible?
>
>-Phil

There is a major gap between computabiltiy theory and complexity
theory. We have a good grasp of the separation between what is and
what is not computable; however, for complexity theory, we are missing
provable good lower bounds on the NP problem class.

>(I am aware of the multi-tasking algorithm that provably accepts SAT
>iff P = NP, but I don't think it's definitely possible to prove that
>any algorithm actually *decides* SAT without proving that ZFC is
>consistent, which cannot be done.)
--
Regards,
Casey
From: tchow on
In article <8bec1657-039e-4c80-b153-a025e0182b33(a)v30g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
cplxphil <cplxphil(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>On Dec 14, 12:51�pm, tc...(a)lsa.umich.edu wrote:
>> In article
>> <e3f7a638-85cd-4cca-bc16-30aacb3a6...(a)j14g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
>>
>> cplxphil �<cplxp...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> >Then, the reason that P = NP is so hard to resolve would be not that
>> >there are diagonalization and natural proof barriers to proving it
>> >false, but rather that there is a barrier to proving it true.
>>
>> >Does this seem plausible?
>>
>> Possible, yes. �Plausible, not so much.
>
>Why not?

For me to label something "plausible," I need some positive evidence in that
direction. I see very little positive evidence that P = NP. Furthermore,
I see no positive evidence that P = NP is unprovable. I often see people
confusing the *psychological difficulty* of resolving a mathematical question
with the *logical strength* of the axiomatic system needed to resolve it.
There is plenty of evidence that P = NP is a challenging problem for human
minds, but I do not regard this as evidence that the logical strength of the
axiomatic system needed to resolve P = NP is high.