From: Juan T. Llibre on
re:
>I thought the App_Code directory was for projects that were created in 2005...this is a conversion
>from 2003. ??

....which makes it a VS 2005 project, whether it was
originally created in 2005 or converted from 2003.

re:
> also, I changed the codebehind to CodeFile, I get this error:
> Compiler Error Message: BC30554: 'Global' is ambiguous.

You have a different "global" class defined somewhere else in your codebase.

In the new model, the Inherits attribute specifies
the fully qualified name of the class defined in global.asax.

Is that name, still, "global", or should it be something else ?
I bet it's something else.

Did you move global.asax.vb to the App_Code directory ?

Here's an idea for you : backup your current global.asax and its codebehind file,
delete them, and create a new global.asax: "File", "New", "File" ( or Control-N ) ,
and select "Global Application Class".

A global.asax template will be created...which you can modify to taste.

That new template's syntax will be correct,
and you'll only need to add the contents of your current global.asax file.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
foros de asp.net, en espa�ol : http://asp.net.do/foros/
===================================

From: Rob T on
On my dev computer, I deleted the old global.asax file, created the App_Code
folder, and created a new global.asax file in the App_Code folder. The
compile works, but the application variables defined in it don't load, so I
can't run the app still

I also tried to just create the global.asax file in the root with the same
original problem (except there is now a period in front of Global):

Parser Error Message: Could not load type '.Global_asax'.
Source Error:
Line 1: <%@ Application Codebehind="Global.asax.vb" Inherits=".Global_asax"
Language="vb" %>
Source File: D:\Inetpub\wwwroot\WiseERP\global.asax Line: 1

I'm afraid I'm going to have to cough up the $250 and call microsoft....I
have to get this project running again. Any other suggestions?

From: Juan T. Llibre on
re:
> I also tried to just create the global.asax file in the root with the same original problem
> (except there is now a period in front of Global):

Did you delete the global.asax in the App_Code directory first ?

re:
> I deleted the old global.asax file, created the App_Code folder, and created a new global.asax
> file in the App_Code folder.

Only the code-behind file for global.asax ( global.asax.vb )
needs to go into the App_Code folder.

Global.asax itself goes in the root of your application, as usual.

Most developers have switched from a code-behind global.asax
to an inline-code global.asax, to prevent the problems you're having.

There's nothing you can do in code-behind which you can't do inline.
In fact, the *default* model for VS 2005 is now "inline", instead of "codebehind".

Would you try that ?
( getting rid of the codebehind file and writing your global.asax events inline... )

From: Rob T on
Well, I finally found the problem.....embarrased to post it, but it may help
someone else someday.

It help to set the web site to .net 2.0..... not 1.1.