From: Douglas J. Steele on
Exactly what did you type that caused the error messages to appear?

What is the data type of currentstate: Text, or Number?

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

From: Douglas J. Steele on
Since he's trying to use the IIf statement in a Sum statement, the IIf
statement must return a number, not text.

That means that if [yourfield] is text, you need IIF([yourfield]="1",1,0),
not IIF([yourfield]="1","1","0").