From: hounslow3 on
Hi all,

I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.

I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
will respond to the other without the software installed.

Is there any way around this without the installation software? The
external drive now contains some iTunes files that I need to transfer.

Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.

Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
the Internet going forward?

Might be worth pointing out at this point that I am not on WiFi, but
rather have a physical connection.

Thanks for any advice.
From: Robert Baer on
hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
> came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
> however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
> I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
>
> I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
> will respond to the other without the software installed.
>
> Is there any way around this without the installation software? The
> external drive now contains some iTunes files that I need to transfer.
>
> Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
> Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
> Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.
>
> Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
> it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
> the Internet going forward?
>
> Might be worth pointing out at this point that I am not on WiFi, but
> rather have a physical connection.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
Well, there is no way around on the software..if installed on HD #01
in GUI #02 (and considerations thereby for machine #03), and you want to
use the software elsewhere, you are stuck unless the "new" machine is
rather similar to the original.
In your case the only thing that would be common is the HD.
Files can be transferred as one sees fit without regard to OS with a
few exceptions: Boot to a non-NTFS OS and you will be unable to use any
NTFS partitions.
From: Christoph Gartmann on
In article <KbwUn.18742$m87.13482(a)hurricane>, "hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk" <hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> writes:

>I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
>came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
>however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
>I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
>
>I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
>will respond to the other without the software installed.

Please tell us the exact model of your external drive.

>Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
>Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
>Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.

Please let us know how exactly you connected your Mac and your PC with your
Internet connection. In addition, what kind/model/type of router/modem do you
have for your Internet connection?

>Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
>it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
>the Internet going forward?

Sure, provided that we have sufficient information.

Regards,
Christoph Gartmann

--
Max-Planck-Institut fuer Phone : +49-761-5108-464 Fax: -80464
Immunbiologie
From: hounslow3 on
On 24/06/2010 08:21, Christoph Gartmann wrote:
> In article<KbwUn.18742$m87.13482(a)hurricane>, "hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk"<hounslow3(a)yahoo.co.uk> writes:
>
>> I have an external hard drive, which contains about 250GB. Software that
>> came with the equipment is installed on my older PC. The problem,
>> however, is that I now cannot find the CD that contains the software as
>> I would like to use the hard drive in conjunction with my MacBook Pro.
>>
>> I have tried to connect the external drive to the Mac, but neither one
>> will respond to the other without the software installed.
>
> Please tell us the exact model of your external drive.

Acomdata is the name of the drive.

>> Also, I noticed that when I bought the Mac and connected it to my
>> Internet line, it configured itself right away and was able to connect.
>> Since then, however, the PC has not been able to do so.
>
> Please let us know how exactly you connected your Mac and your PC with your
> Internet connection. In addition, what kind/model/type of router/modem do you
> have for your Internet connection?
>
>> Can anybody advise what I might do in the PC's settings in order to have
>> it connect to the Internet? Will this affect my Mac's connectivity to
>> the Internet going forward?
>
> Sure, provided that we have sufficient information.

What specifically do you need?