From: Andy Burns on
tony sayer wrote:

> There was a thread somewhere detailing some of the ways to recover data
> apart from commercial outfits costing a lot of money. PC won't recognise
> it apart from make and model number and thats as far as it goes..

http://www.garloff.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/

Will try very hard to copy what it can from the drive (to a new drive or
to an image file for later restore/recovery)

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec

Will pick the bits of recoverable files out of the smouldering
remnants, but it only recognises certain formats.

From: Paul Bird on
tony sayer wrote:

> Also anyone any suggestion as to a reliable make of drive as it seems to
> me there're all getting rather bad!..

Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years but
as usual YMMV. And the Seagate Momentus, the 2.5" version seems to
withstand knocks and general abuse having been used as a USB portable in
daily use.

PB
From: Jon Green on
On 22/06/2010 23:52, Paul Bird wrote:
> Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years

Me three. I populate RAIDs with them. Out of eight drives, I've only
had to replace one. Even that one hadn't broken, but was starting to
raise SMART warnings, so I dropped in a replacement for safety's sake.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
From: dennis on

"Jon Green" <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote in message
> On 22/06/2010 23:52, Paul Bird wrote:
>> Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years
>
> Me three. I populate RAIDs with them. Out of eight drives, I've only had
> to replace one. Even that one hadn't broken, but was starting to raise
> SMART warnings,

It had broken then.
Don't make the mistake of thinking they aren't broken when SMART errors
start cropping up.
Don't think a reformat will fix them either as some on t'internet think.

From: Jon Green on
On 23/06/2010 07:53, dennis(a)home wrote:
> "Jon Green" <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> On 22/06/2010 23:52, Paul Bird wrote:
>>> Seagate Barracudas have done me well for the last five or six years
>>
>> Me three. I populate RAIDs with them. Out of eight drives, I've only
>> had to replace one. Even that one hadn't broken, but was starting to
>> raise SMART warnings,
>
> It had broken then.
> Don't make the mistake of thinking they aren't broken when SMART errors
> start cropping up.

I didn't! That's why I replaced it. In my book, there's a difference
between "failing" (raising SMART warnings but continuing to work) and
"broken" (no longer working). The drive was failing, but not broken.

> Don't think a reformat will fix them either as some on t'internet think.

A low level reformat can sometimes help, but IME it usually only delays
the inevitable.

FWIW, the drive in question is now used as a transfer drive, getting
rare outings in a USB drive cradle at need, so it's still returning some
value. It seems to be happier now, not being the hottest drive in a
4-drive RAID.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
Blog: http://bit.ly/45cLHw Pix: http://bit.ly/d8V2NJ
Website: http://www.green-lines.com/
 |  Next  |  Last