From: Bob Eager on
On Sat, 26 Jun 2010 12:09:45 +0100, Rupert Moss-Eccardt wrote:

>> I think that's right, though....ICL did keep a lot of old terminology
>> around. As well as inventing new stuff - like the CPU becoming an OCP
>> (Order Code Processor)
>
> Ah, but the CPU was the whole box. The OCP was the 'mill'.

Well, on our machine the three boxes were marked 'OCP'!
--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Steve Walker on
Andy Burns wrote:

> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
>
> Will pick the bits of recoverable files out of the smouldering
> remnants, but it only recognises certain formats.

http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

better util from same source - in my limited but grateful experience it's
very capable.

From: tony sayer on
In article <88n445Fke3U1(a)mid.individual.net>, Steve Walker <spam-
trap(a)beeb.net> scribeth thus
>Andy Burns wrote:
>
>> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/PhotoRec
>>
>> Will pick the bits of recoverable files out of the smouldering
>> remnants, but it only recognises certain formats.
>
>http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>
>better util from same source - in my limited but grateful experience it's
>very capable.

Did try that but most ever sector segment etc came up with unable to
read..
--
Tony Sayer

From: Andy Champ on
Clive George wrote:

> It's possibly more likely that we'll lose a site than we'll lose a RAID
> controller/filer - comms (think JCB), air con, power seem flakier than
> our decent hardware :-)
>
> Primary and offsite DR/shadow works well for us. The filers can cope
> with loss of quite a lot - redundant raid controller/head, obviously
> RAID 6 + hot spare disks, redundant SAN kit. Also the offsite DR is good
> enough to be used live. I don't think it's worth spending any more on a
> full onsite mirror.
>
> 'Course we're not really talking about simple file servers here :-)

We got lucky last year. The upstairs aircon burst a pipe and dropped
several thousand gallons of cooling water all over our office. It
wrecked a whole lot of screens, one or two PCs (Luckily most of us keep
our PCs under the desks, and the desks acted as umbrellas), and somehow
managed not to leak through the ceiling over the server room. It was
the unique kit in the test lab that really scared us.

We still lost a week's work, despite losing no critical systems. And a
lot of desks!

Andy