From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:25:43 +0000, Huge wrote:

> On 2010-06-25, Roland Perry <roland(a)perry.co.uk> wrote:
>> In message <88jcpkFs8lU7(a)mid.individual.net>, at 09:56:04 on Fri, 25
>> Jun 2010, Huge <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> remarked:
>>>
>>>You sure it was a "platter"? Only, when I worked for ITT in around
>>>1975/6 (on what became the Unimat 4080 telephone switch), the message
>>>switches that we shared our computer room with definitely had drums
>>>that were drum shaped.
>>
>> Absolutely sure.
>
> It appears that ICLs weird storage topology terminology was unknown to
> me. Not surprising. I was a MUMPS programmer roped in to help rewrite
> ATV's payroll system in RPG2 (spit) and port it from a 1904S (I think)
> to a 2903. That was my only exposure to ICL kit - I left shortly
> afterwards to return to my beloved PDP11s and trying to weigh flying
> crisps.

I think that's right, though....ICL did keep a lot of old terminology
around. As well as inventing new stuff - like the CPU becoming an OCP
(Order Code Processor)

[note to self...must get on with the mostly-completed 2900 simulator]

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: dennis on

"Jon Green" <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote in message
> On 25/06/2010 17:28, Clive George wrote:
>> On 25/06/2010 17:03, Jon Green wrote:
>>
>>> I suspect that Mike meant more than just the drives. If you're dealing
>>> with mission-critical data, it's imperative to keep a hot spare RAID box
>>> too, in secure storage away from the building, so that you can bring up
>>> the data set ASAP after a RAID main board failure. There's absolutely no
>>> guarantee that the drive set will work together in a different model or
>>> make -- in fact, it's pretty-much certain they won't.
>>
>> Once you're doing that you may as well have the second RAID (or rather
>> filer) mirrored from the first, and have a truly hot DR system.
>
> That'll work...so long as the backup RAID isn't totalled by the same fire
> or power surge that nargled the primary!

Or the more likely software fault.

> It won't absolve you from having the hot (well, warm, since it's not
> connected or running) spare and the backups off-site for full disaster
> recovery.
>
> So now you've got three sets of kit! Primary, local mirror, off-site hot
> spare.)

Four, the off-site kit should be a replicate of the main site so you can use
it to provide the same service.

We had fully functioning SystemX exchanges inside containers so we could
park one outside and exchange, connect up the trunks, etc. and away you go.

From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 19:58:08 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

> In article <88kbonFiv6U2(a)mid.individual.net>,
> Bob Eager <rde42(a)spamcop.net> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:04:19 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>> > In message <88jcelFs8lU6(a)mid.individual.net>, at 09:50:13 on Fri, 25
>> > Jun 2010, Huge <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> remarked:

>> > I started on an ICL 4120 which was an Elliott design, but inside ICL
>> > by late 60's.
>>
>> Yes, that was the detuned 4130. Main differences were a lot of
>> instructions implemented by software extracodes, and no
>> multiprogramming support.
>
> Could you define what's meant by "multiprogramming support" in this
> context?

Two operating modes - user and executive. Or did I get it wrong and the
4120 had that too? Enter user mode with the EXIT instruction, and system
call back with the EXEN instruction...

From: Tim Ward on
"Phil W Lee" <phil(at)lee-family(dot)me(dot)uk> wrote in message

> It wasn't just the names being different at ICL though, they did some
> strange stuff all of their own.

I heard that management insisted on the General Origin of Data (the
operating system's initial global pointer) being renamed.

--
Tim Ward - posting as an individual unless otherwise clear
Cambridge Accommodation Notice Board - www.brettward.co.uk/canb

From: Jon Green on
On 25/06/2010 20:30, dennis(a)home wrote:
> "Jon Green" <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> wrote in message
>> So now you've got three sets of kit! Primary, local mirror, off-site
>> hot spare.)
>
> Four, the off-site kit should be a replicate of the main site so you can
> use it to provide the same service.

Depends whether your objective is to mirror exactly what was there
before, or simply to serve the files. If the latter, the three sets
will do, and you can go off and buy a new hot mirror once you've the
shelf unit online.

> We had fully functioning SystemX exchanges inside containers so we could
> park one outside and exchange, connect up the trunks, etc. and away you go.

Yeah, I know a lot of different setups that take that approach, from
temporary mobile phone base stations to entire shippable machine rooms.
Not to mention deployable operating rooms, MRI/CAT units and mobile
morgues for disaster management. It's a handy paradigm.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.