From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:50:13 +0000, Huge wrote:

> On 2010-06-24, Bob Eager <rde42(a)spamcop.net> wrote:

>>> Pah. Newbie.

>>> Blimey. Huge capacity. There's a platter from a Xerox system hanging
>>> on my study wall. IIRC, the drive was 20Mb and had 5 platters. I wish
>>> I could remember what the capacity of the DEDS drive on the ICL 1900
>>> series I learned RPG2 (spit) on was. About 5 Mb (?), with two platters
>>> that had to be exchanged seperately, but in pairs, on a horizontal
>>> spindle inside a *huge* grey crackle-finish enclosure.
>>>
>>> Now I have 3.5 Tb of disk in mys study ...
>>
>> The disks on the ICL 4130 at Kent
>
> Ahh, KOS. Now, those were the days. Or perhaps not.
>
> (I thought it was an NCR/Elliott 4130? Or were they subsumed into ICL?)

They were subsumed into ICL. All the manuals I bought had ICL on them.

(I bought them to work out how the multiprogramming hardware worked, so I
could (successfully) subvert it)

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 09:56:04 +0000, Huge wrote:

> You sure it was a "platter"? Only, when I worked for ITT in around
> 1975/6 (on what became the Unimat 4080 telephone switch), the message
> switches that we shared our computer room with definitely had drums that
> were drum shaped. This kind of thing;

I'm sure, anyway. I saw them Bloody great vertically mounted platters,
big strip of heads. Functionally a drum.

From: Bob Eager on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 08:04:54 +0100, dennis(a)home wrote:

> "Bob Eager" <rde42(a)spamcop.net> wrote in message
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 07:12:09 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:
>>
>>> In mid 70's I worked on ICL drives, including something they called a
>>> "drum", which was a single-platter mounted vertically.
>>
>> The important point about the ICL drum was that (like the real drums
>> before it) it had one head for each track, thereby reducing the seek
>> time to the electronic switching time. They were mainly used for
>> paging, but I seem to recall that the ICL ones were let down by a
>> sluggish transfer rate.
>
> Real drums didn't use Winchester type heads IIRC. They were drums so all
> the heads were the same and the surface speed was the same, with disks
> the surface speed changes with the head position.

I never said otherwise (I said "like the real drums before it"). They
were however formatted with a larger number of sectors on the outer
tracks to make best use of packing density.

From: Jon Green on
On 25/06/2010 11:00, Huge wrote:
> Having recently moved my aged mother from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed flat, I
> am determined to throw all the junk out.

I hope you didn't mean that in the way that it reads!

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
From: Roland Perry on
In message <88jd26Fs8lU8(a)mid.individual.net>, at 10:00:38 on Fri, 25 Jun
2010, Huge <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> remarked:
>Having recently moved my aged mother from a 3 bed house to a 1 bed flat, I
>am determined to throw all the junk out.

That's no way to speak about your mother!
--
Roland Perry