From: Bob Eager on
On Thu, 24 Jun 2010 22:41:40 +0100, Andy Champ wrote:

> dennis(a)home wrote:
>>
>> When I started they were in the 5 MB range and were 14" dia, you built
>> controllers with RLL compression and stuff like that. Typically they
>> would occupy a couple of MB1 sized cards or a bit more.
>>

> RLL Compression? Pray tell me more.

Indeed. Which reminds me...I have two single-platter 10MB drives in my
workshop that I need to get going - DEC RL02s...

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <hvvpji$gsj$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, at 14:20:35 on
> Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jules Richardson <jules.richardsonnewsmoo(a)gmail.com>
> remarked:
>> (and remember the days when you had to reformat the drive if you changed
>> its orientation, as otherwise it'd start spewing out errors all over the
>> place? :-)
>
> No, I don't remember that, and I go back all the way to 1980 and drives
> that were 10MB per platter.

Just shows how little you ever really knew about anything.
From: dennis on

"Andy Champ" <no.way(a)nospam.invalid> wrote in message
> dennis(a)home wrote:
>>
>> When I started they were in the 5 MB range and were 14" dia, you built
>> controllers with RLL compression and stuff like that.
>> Typically they would occupy a couple of MB1 sized cards or a bit more.
>>

> RLL Compression? Pray tell me more.

Well you replace long streams of the same bits with shorter ones.
But as you mention it I doubt if thats why RLL coding was used.

From: The Natural Philosopher on
Jeff Strickland wrote:
> "Huge" <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-24, Roland Perry <roland(a)perry.co.uk> wrote:
>>> In message <hvvpji$gsj$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, at 14:20:35 on
>>> Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jules Richardson <jules.richardsonnewsmoo(a)gmail.com>
>>> remarked:
>>> No, I don't remember that, and I go back all the way to 1980
>> Pah. Newbie.
>>
>>> and drives
>>> that were 10MB per platter.
>> Blimey. Huge capacity. There's a platter from a Xerox system hanging
>> on my study wall. IIRC, the drive was 20Mb and had 5 platters. I wish
>> I could remember what the capacity of the DEDS drive on the ICL 1900
>> series I learned RPG2 (spit) on was. About 5 Mb (?), with two platters
>> that had to be exchanged seperately, but in pairs, on a horizontal spindle
>> inside a *huge* grey crackle-finish enclosure.
>>
>> Now I have 3.5 Tb of disk in mys study ...
>>

> Ah, the Good Old Days.
>
> My first machine had a 350M HDD, and I paid over two thousand dollars (USD)
> for it. I bought the upgrade graphics/game card that allowed a joystick so I
> could play Flight Simulator. It was a bit jerky as the scenery files
> changed.

My first machine had a tape drive, the twin 5 1/14" floppy disks were extra.

From: Jon Green on
On 24/06/2010 18:42, Roland Perry wrote:
> In message <hvvpji$gsj$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, at 14:20:35 on
> Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jules Richardson <jules.richardsonnewsmoo(a)gmail.com>
> remarked:
>> (and remember the days when you had to reformat the drive if you changed
>> its orientation, as otherwise it'd start spewing out errors all over the
>> place? :-)
>
> No, I don't remember that, and I go back all the way to 1980 and drives
> that were 10MB per platter.

Strange. I go back as far, and I definitely do remember drives that
went flaky when you changed them between vertically and horizontally
mounted. And the best solution, as Jules said, was to pull off all the
data, reformat, and restore. Didn't happen all the time by any means,
but I'd certainly seen it occur.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.