From: Jon Green on
On 24/06/2010 16:45, dennis(a)home wrote:

> "Huge" <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message
>> John, you're arguing with 'dennis the erroneous'. Why?
>
> Because he likes to learn things, you can't learn things.

Word to the wise: that's because Huge knows enough things already that
little's new any more.

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.
From: John Rumm on
On 24/06/2010 16:44, dennis(a)home wrote:

> "John Rumm" <see.my.signature(a)nowhere.null> wrote in message

>>> Well that's not exactly true, most of the drives at the time had sync
>>> connectors and you just didn't use them if you didn't need them.

>>> The interfaces were standards at the time there was nothing special
>>> about the drives compared to other drives.
>>
>> Just how far are you going back here?
>
> Far enough to predate anything most people have seen or even heard of.
> I have been in computer engineering a lot longer than most people.

Older ain't always better ;-)

>> RAID and the numbered levels were not even defined as a standard
>> concept until the late 80's and by that time ST506 interfaced drives
>> were coming to the end of their era.
>
> I predate st506.

That was standardised in about '79/'80 ish IIRC

>> Early IDE systems were already appearing, and "standard" RAID was
>> pretty rare on anything other than IDE or SCSI drives.
>>
>> (I have no doubt there were some proprietary systems about that tried
>> RAID 2 like tricks to eek some extra performance out of the drives of
>> the day however, but would not call them "proper RAID" to borrow your
>> phrase).
>
> Oh i would, proper RAID distinguishes them from RAID.

Can't think why. We are not talking inexpensive commodity hard drives,
which is the foundation of RAID as a concept.

>> IIRC I bought my first HDD about '87. A "huge" 42MB seagate. SCSI
>> would have been a better match for the system, but was out of my price
>> range at the time...
>
> When I started they were in the 5 MB range and were 14" dia, you built
> controllers with RLL compression and stuff like that.
> Typically they would occupy a couple of MB1 sized cards or a bit more.

You probably did not have one of those on your home computer though...

--
Cheers,

John.

From: John Rumm on
On 24/06/2010 16:45, dennis(a)home wrote:

> "Huge" <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> wrote in message
>> On 2010-06-24, John Rumm <see.my.signature(a)nowhere.null> wrote:
>>> On 24/06/2010 12:42, dennis(a)home wrote:
>>
>> John, you're arguing with 'dennis the erroneous'. Why?
>
> Because he likes to learn things, you can't learn things.

Indeed, I do like to learn things....

but that is not why I argue with you.

--
Cheers,

John.

From: Roland Perry on
In message <hvvpji$gsj$2(a)news.eternal-september.org>, at 14:20:35 on
Thu, 24 Jun 2010, Jules Richardson <jules.richardsonnewsmoo(a)gmail.com>
remarked:
>(and remember the days when you had to reformat the drive if you changed
>its orientation, as otherwise it'd start spewing out errors all over the
>place? :-)

No, I don't remember that, and I go back all the way to 1980 and drives
that were 10MB per platter.
--
Roland Perry
From: dennis on

>> When I started they were in the 5 MB range and were 14" dia, you built
>> controllers with RLL compression and stuff like that.
>> Typically they would occupy a couple of MB1 sized cards or a bit more.
>
> You probably did not have one of those on your home computer though...

I didn't have a home computer for ages, never really saw the attraction.
By the time I got one 50MB hard disks were common.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18
Prev: Adobe Photoshop 4 Out of memory
Next: Couple of Questions