From: Roland Perry on
In message <88juooF7sfU2(a)mid.individual.net>, at 15:02:48 on Fri, 25 Jun
2010, Huge <Huge(a)nowhere.much.invalid> remarked:
>> If you aren't careful, I'll start talking about delay-line memory ;-)
>
>Well, I've *seen* some in the Science Museum.

I've got one in my attic somewhere.
--
Roland Perry
From: Roland Perry on
In message <ScSdnZVMDrE_UrnRnZ2dnUVZ8sgAAAAA(a)brightview.co.uk>, at
16:47:11 on Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Jon Green <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> remarked:
>> If you aren't careful, I'll start talking about delay-line memory ;-)
>
>Mercury, I should hope ... the One True DLM!

No, the one I have is acoustic.
--
Roland Perry
From: Roland Perry on
In message <DKudndfc9oPCTrnRnZ2dnUVZ8gmdnZ2d(a)brightview.co.uk>, at
17:03:06 on Fri, 25 Jun 2010, Jon Green <jonsg(a)deadspam.com> remarked:
>>> The answer to that is to lay in spare parts at the same time as the
>>> order for the RAID unit. Yes, it increases the initial cost, but at
>>> least you know you have the spares available in five years' time.
>>
>> The best RAID controllers build that in - they have one or two spare
>> drives configured in, that don't initially store any data, but can be
>> swapped in when needed.
>
>I suspect that Mike meant more than just the drives. If you're dealing
>with mission-critical data, it's imperative to keep a hot spare RAID
>box too, in secure storage away from the building, so that you can
>bring up the data set ASAP after a RAID main board failure. There's
>absolutely no guarantee that the drive set will work together in a
>different model or make -- in fact, it's pretty-much certain they won't.

The RAID controller in one of my servers does exactly that, it imports
the drive characteristics (and hence the total storage characteristic)
from whatever is plugged in. But I agree it may have to be the same
make, but as that's Compaq it's not a huge issue.
--
Roland Perry
From: D.M.Chapman on
In article <6pCdnX3FjOZoUrnRnZ2dnUVZ7sAAAAAA(a)brightview.co.uk>,
Clive George <clive(a)xxxx-x.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

>Hot spares. And they're supplied under a contract where replacements get
>delivered to you in a few hours. The maintenance contract pays for their
>stockpiling of old drives. And if the small stuff really does disappear,
>it copes with putting a larger drive in instead. (wastes the space, but
>works).

It's interesting, but I've dealt with all sorts of disk arrays over the
last 15 years or so and it seems that while this becomes true of midrange
kit as you get to the higher end, spare replacement becomes less urgent
again.

DotHill/Sun 3510 arrays - replacement disks sent to site within 4 hours.

HDS AMS/USPs - disks sent next working day (or even slower).

Admittedly, in our large enterprise arrays we do have many roaming spares
(and often RAID 6) so I guess it's just deemed less important. Can't say
it's ever been a problem though. No point sending a disk within hours
when the machine spares out without problem and still has plenty of
resilience.

Controller failures however, they tend to respond to those pretty
quickly ;-)

Darren

From: Jon Green on
On 25/06/2010 21:18, Phil W Lee wrote:
> Jon Green<jonsg(a)deadspam.com> considered Fri, 25 Jun 2010 18:22:54
> +0100 the perfect time to write:
>> That'll work...so long as the backup RAID isn't totalled by the same
>> fire or power surge that nargled the primary!
>>
> When I last did that, the RAIDs were in Tulsa and Ely, so not too much
> chance of them both being wiped out by the same disaster.

:) I assume the data set change over time wasn't all that great then,
otherwise shadowing would have been a running battle!

Jon
--
SPAM BLOCK IN USE! To reply in email, replace 'deadspam'
with 'green-lines'.