From: Jeff on
Hello,

Is there a way to create a VHD of my existing XP SP3 system for use with
Windows XP Mode in Windows 7? I am looking to load 7 on my laptop, but would
like to not have to reinstall all of my apps once I fire up XP Mode in 7.

Thanks
From: Karl E. Peterson on
Jeff wrote:
> Is there a way to create a VHD of my existing XP SP3 system for use with
> Windows XP Mode in Windows 7? I am looking to load 7 on my laptop, but would
> like to not have to reinstall all of my apps once I fire up XP Mode in 7.

I ran into this, quite by accident, earlier today...

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/ee656415.aspx

No idea how it works, but the guys behind it aren't your run-of-the-mill goobs.

Anyone here tried that yet?
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Robert Comer on
http://blogs.technet.com/seanearp/archive/2009/10/08/p2v-baby.aspx

--
Bob Comer

From: Jeff on
I was thinking P2V would work.. just havent seen the XP Mode in 7 yet. So it
will just allow me to import an existing VHD? From the screen shots and
things Ive seen online it looks like when you fire it up it wants to create a
new instance of XP.

From: Robert Comer on
Windows Virtual PC is just like VPC 2007 in that it can run multiple
VM's.

XP Mode, which runs on top of Windows Virtual PC, is a special,
pre-made, VM that is licensed to run on the Win7 skus that support it.
(yes, you have to worry about licensing in other VM's.)

--
Bob Comer

On Thu, 8 Oct 2009 14:04:02 -0700, Jeff