From: John Daintree on
Hello All,

I'm running Windows Virtual PC on Windows 7 RTM. (4 cores, 64 bit, 8G RAM)

I've created an XP VM but the VM's network performance back to the host
machine is really slow. A similar VM on an XP host (via Virtual PC 2007)
performs much better network-wise (orders of magnitude better probably).

I'm not running this in "XP mode" (at least I don't think I am), I just want
a VM to test software installs on.

I've installed the "Integration features". I dunno what else to pursue.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

John.

From: John Daintree on
OK, worked around it, uninstalled Windows Virtual PC (y'know , the new
Windows 7 one), and installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (y'know, the old
one). This one seems to work and does all I need.

Don't get me started....

/john.

From: Karl E. Peterson on
John Daintree wrote:
> OK, worked around it, uninstalled Windows Virtual PC (y'know , the new
> Windows 7 one), and installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (y'know, the old
> one). This one seems to work and does all I need.
>
> Don't get me started....

Argh! I do appreciate hearing this, as I'm about to go down that path.

So (anyone) what does the new one offer, other than USB support, that I'd be losing?
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Bo Berglund on
On Tue, 20 Oct 2009 11:20:31 -0700, "Karl E. Peterson"
<karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>John Daintree wrote:
>> OK, worked around it, uninstalled Windows Virtual PC (y'know , the new
>> Windows 7 one), and installed Microsoft Virtual PC 2007 (y'know, the old
>> one). This one seems to work and does all I need.
>>
>> Don't get me started....
>
>Argh! I do appreciate hearing this, as I'm about to go down that path.
>
>So (anyone) what does the new one offer, other than USB support, that I'd be losing?

The possibility to run a *single* program inside the virtual machine
and only show this program's window on the Win7 desktop, not the
entire viurtual machine desktop?

--

Bo Berglund (Sweden)
From: John Daintree on
Hopefully an update will fix the performance problems.

For my use though, I'm just testing software builds and installations, so I
don't need any of that "new" stuff.

/john