From: Jeff Johnson on
"Peter Duniho" <no.peted.spam(a)no.nwlink.spam.com> wrote in message

>> My first question is "Do you have enough experience with the Graphics
>> object to draw what you want on, say, a PictureBox?" Because I'd say
>> that's a prerequisite for using OwnerDraw.
>
> Agreed. With the minor nit to pick, that using a PictureBox as the base
> implementation just for an arbitrary custom control is usually not
> advantageous. Most custom controls should just inherit Control.

Oh, I wasn't suggesting using the PictureBox in that manner. I was just
wondering if the OP knew how to draw at all, and the PictureBox seemed like
the easiest thing to draw on. I guess you could just draw right on a Form,
though.

From: Gladys on
> Agreed. With the minor nit to pick, that using a PictureBox as the base
> implementation just for an arbitrary custom control is usually not
> advantageous. Most custom controls should just inherit Control.

I'd like to use the listbox control and not creating a custom control.

Gladys

From: Jeff Johnson on
"Gladys" <Gladys(a)nomail.nospam> wrote in message

>> Agreed. With the minor nit to pick, that using a PictureBox as the base
>> implementation just for an arbitrary custom control is usually not
>> advantageous. Most custom controls should just inherit Control.
>
> I'd like to use the listbox control and not creating a custom control.

That's not the issue. The real issue is whether or not you're familiar with
drawing text and graphics at all. Are you?

From: Gladys on
> That's not the issue. The real issue is whether or not you're familiar
> with drawing text and graphics at all. Are you?

Nope :-((

From: Jeff Johnson on

>> That's not the issue. The real issue is whether or not you're familiar
>> with drawing text and graphics at all. Are you?
>
> Nope :-((

Okay. What I'm getting at here is that you're trying to bite off a really
large chunk. I recommend taking it in smaller pieces. Get examples of simply
using graphics, and then look into the samples of doing OwnerDraw. The
second part won't be that hard; you'll just come to realize that when doing
OwnerDraw you get a "sandbox" area in which you're able to draw as opposed
to having an entire window (which is ultimately just a bigger sandbox) on
which to draw.