From: mdoster on
I'm just learning Project and it is really kicking my posterior! I hope that
someone out there can help me understand the "Assign Work to a Team" section
of the help area. The very first direction: "On the Quick Launch, click
Server Settings" is beyond me. What is the "Quick Launch"?
From: Andrew Lavinsky on
That is a Server based feature. Are you interfacing with Project Server
or Project Desktop (i.e. are you in a browser or just a client software that
doesn't say "connected" in the bottom right.)?

If Server, that's a pretty steep learning curve. You'd be well served to
find some training by a local or online Server partner. If desktop, it's
not relevant.

- Andrew Lavinsky
Blog: http://blogs.catapultsystems.com/epm

From: mdoster on
Ah, well... that explains it. I'm not running Project Server - but desktop...
So, there still has to be a way in Desktop to accomplish the same thing, so
perhaps one of you can help me.. I have a bunch of individuals (resources)
that serve on various teams that work together (at the same time) on a
project. I want to be able to list the team name and have it take the
individual resource schedules into consideration... Does that make sense?
I've tried the group feature, but I can't see that it does what I need. Or it
could just be that I'm an idiot and don't understand how to make it work.

From: Andrew Lavinsky on
Best you can do is to add a Resource field (or use the "Group" field), and
then when assigning resources, Group by that field and review availability.

Alternately, you can create a team of multiple individuals such as "Scaffolding
Crew" or "Geeks" and assign a max units of however many you have, 500%, 600%
or something like that. Then you treat them as interchangeable resources
and assign them to a task with a units of 300% for a 3 person team.

Otherwise, you have to assign each one individually.

For what it's worth, the team feature in Project Server isn't all that exciting.
It allows you to assign to a team of individuals - then whenever they finish
their last task, they can review what's assigned to the team and reassign
it to themselves.

From: mdoster on
Thanks so much for your help! I've always heard what a powerful program
Project in, but frankly, as I'm leaning what it will and will not do, I find
myself often disappointed. Many things that should have been thought
of/included (common sense features) are not. Interesting... it is certainly
not the do-all/end-all project mgmnt system that I thought it would be.

Thanks again for all your assistance! I really appreciate it!