From: Grinder on
On 7/27/2010 4:22 AM, BertieBigBollox(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
> easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
> things up.
>
> I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
> image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
> ghost image restored.
>
> In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do this, but, in
> this case, theres no DVD drive.
>
> Any ideas best way to do it?
>
> I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp and dos, and
> then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

Some motherboards have this feature in-built. In particular, Gigabyte
has this feature, but it's name has escaped me.

From: Grinder on
On 7/27/2010 11:32 AM, Grinder wrote:
> On 7/27/2010 4:22 AM, BertieBigBollox(a)gmail.com wrote:
>> Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
>> easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
>> things up.
>>
>> I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
>> image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
>> ghost image restored.
>>
>> In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do this, but, in
>> this case, theres no DVD drive.
>>
>> Any ideas best way to do it?
>>
>> I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp and dos, and
>> then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?
>
> Some motherboards have this feature in-built. In particular, Gigabyte
> has this feature, but it's name has escaped me.

Xpress Recovery

From: Mat on

http://www.partition-saving.com/

From: Oldus Fartus on
BertieBigBollox(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user with an
> easy way to get back to the default installation in case they screw
> things up.
>
> I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a saved ghost
> image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted to the partion and the
> ghost image restored.
>
> In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do this, but, in
> this case, theres no DVD drive.
>
> Any ideas best way to do it?
>
> I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp and dos, and
> then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

I use Acronis True Image for this. Does everything you want, and more!
http://www.acronis.com.au/

--
Cheers
Oldus Fartus
From: Twayne on
In news:b5434351-dd75-4cb5-a0d6-eb030023f913(a)h25g2000vba.googlegroups.com,
BertieBigBollox(a)gmail.com <bertiebigbollox(a)gmail.com> typed:
> Is it possible to do this? Need this to roll out to a user
> with an easy way to get back to the default installation in
> case they screw things up.
>
> I'd like to dual boot the PC but have a partition with a
> saved ghost image in. Then if needs be PC could be booted
> to the partion and the ghost image restored.
>
> In the past, I've created bootable ghost DVDs which do
> this, but, in this case, theres no DVD drive.
>
> Any ideas best way to do it?
>
> I'm guesiing it could be done by dual booting Pc with xp
> and dos, and then setting up DOS same as I do for DVD boot?

Not to be facetious, but ... I'd have a fit if you did that to my machine,
especially if you did it covertly. Besides, then you've got a hassle for
updating them should problems be discovered that need fixing.

Why not just send or allow download of, a "recovery" CD that does the same
thing? I doubt I'm the only one who wouldn't allow you to mess with my
partitions; I just wouldn't allow it. But I'd be real happy with a
restoration CD of some kind. But in the end, I'd hope I can just re-image
the drive to get it back. Any reason a re-image would fail? If so, and
there are programs like that, I'd throw another dart at you<g>.

HTH,

Twayne`