From: Beyond X on
This question must have been hundreds times, but please help.

I want to know what the Microsoft policy is concerning licensing its
softwars. In particular:
1) I need to alternate two or three hard drives in the SAME computer
depending on the kind of work I do. The platform installed in my current
routine hard drive is Win XP Pro which is 'genuine' with legitimate
product key. When it was activated, I believe, Microsoft collected
information specific to this particular hard drive product together with
discriminatory information about the computer's hardware set up
(motherboard, memory card, CPU, graphic card, etc).
Now, if I replace the hard drive and install the same OS from the
SAME CD (with the same product key) followed by going through new
activation process, I am sure that the activation attempt will pass
(because the OS software is 'genuine').
Then, when I switch back to the previous harddisk in which the same
OS with the same product key has been installed, what will happen? Will
it work without complication? Or will it need to go through another
activation and safely? (I will not and will not be able to use the two
drives simultaneously.)
If so how many times will I be permitted to do such a switching if
there is a limit to it?
(Does information about successful activation stay inside the disk or is
it in MS's activation database and checked out every time the disk is
used?)

2) If I install the same OS in a deifferent partition in the same hard
drive and use it in the same computer, what will happen?

My thought:
What Microsoft wants is prevention of a software from its use in
"different computers" at the same time, isn't it? That is, MS does not
want piracy. When we purchase a "genuine" MS software, however, we own
it with every right of the ownership and we should be able to use it in
every way we want as long as we do not commit piracy or illegal
transaction, right?
From: Paul on
Beyond X wrote:
> This question must have been hundreds times, but please help.
>
> I want to know what the Microsoft policy is concerning licensing its
> softwars. In particular:
> 1) I need to alternate two or three hard drives in the SAME computer
> depending on the kind of work I do. The platform installed in my current
> routine hard drive is Win XP Pro which is 'genuine' with legitimate
> product key. When it was activated, I believe, Microsoft collected
> information specific to this particular hard drive product together with
> discriminatory information about the computer's hardware set up
> (motherboard, memory card, CPU, graphic card, etc).
> Now, if I replace the hard drive and install the same OS from the
> SAME CD (with the same product key) followed by going through new
> activation process, I am sure that the activation attempt will pass
> (because the OS software is 'genuine').
> Then, when I switch back to the previous harddisk in which the same
> OS with the same product key has been installed, what will happen? Will
> it work without complication? Or will it need to go through another
> activation and safely? (I will not and will not be able to use the two
> drives simultaneously.)
> If so how many times will I be permitted to do such a switching if
> there is a limit to it?
> (Does information about successful activation stay inside the disk or is
> it in MS's activation database and checked out every time the disk is
> used?)
>
> 2) If I install the same OS in a deifferent partition in the same hard
> drive and use it in the same computer, what will happen?
>
> My thought:
> What Microsoft wants is prevention of a software from its use in
> "different computers" at the same time, isn't it? That is, MS does not
> want piracy. When we purchase a "genuine" MS software, however, we own
> it with every right of the ownership and we should be able to use it in
> every way we want as long as we do not commit piracy or illegal
> transaction, right?

You can find details of the algorithm here.

http://aumha.org/win5/a/wpa.htm

Enjoy,
Paul
From: Alias on
On 07/27/2010 08:20 AM, Beyond X wrote:
> This question must have been hundreds times, but please help.
>
> I want to know what the Microsoft policy is concerning licensing its
> softwars. In particular:
> 1) I need to alternate two or three hard drives in the SAME computer
> depending on the kind of work I do. The platform installed in my current
> routine hard drive is Win XP Pro which is 'genuine' with legitimate
> product key. When it was activated, I believe, Microsoft collected
> information specific to this particular hard drive product together with
> discriminatory information about the computer's hardware set up
> (motherboard, memory card, CPU, graphic card, etc).
> Now, if I replace the hard drive and install the same OS from the SAME
> CD (with the same product key) followed by going through new activation
> process, I am sure that the activation attempt will pass (because the OS
> software is 'genuine').
> Then, when I switch back to the previous harddisk in which the same OS
> with the same product key has been installed, what will happen? Will it
> work without complication? Or will it need to go through another
> activation and safely? (I will not and will not be able to use the two
> drives simultaneously.)
> If so how many times will I be permitted to do such a switching if there
> is a limit to it?
> (Does information about successful activation stay inside the disk or is
> it in MS's activation database and checked out every time the disk is
> used?)
>
> 2) If I install the same OS in a deifferent partition in the same hard
> drive and use it in the same computer, what will happen?
>
> My thought:
> What Microsoft wants is prevention of a software from its use in
> "different computers" at the same time, isn't it? That is, MS does not
> want piracy. When we purchase a "genuine" MS software, however, we own
> it with every right of the ownership and we should be able to use it in
> every way we want as long as we do not commit piracy or illegal
> transaction, right?

As long as it's the same computer, you can have two or more instances of
XP. I would recommend cloning so that the new ones are already
activated. The clones could be considered as back ups.

--
Alias
From: Twayne on
In news:4C4E7ABB.8090400(a)nomail.com,
Beyond X <donotmail(a)nomail.com> typed:
> This question must have been hundreds times, but please
> help.
> I want to know what the Microsoft policy is concerning
> licensing its softwars. In particular:
> 1) I need to alternate two or three hard drives in the SAME
> computer depending on the kind of work I do. The platform
> installed in my current routine hard drive is Win XP Pro
> which is 'genuine' with legitimate product key. When it was
> activated, I believe, Microsoft collected information
> specific to this particular hard drive product together
> with discriminatory information about the computer's
> hardware set up (motherboard, memory card, CPU, graphic
> card, etc). Now, if I replace the hard drive and install
> the same OS from the SAME CD (with the same product key) followed by
> going
> through new activation process, I am sure that the
> activation attempt will pass (because the OS software is
> 'genuine'). Then, when I switch back to the previous
> harddisk in which the same OS with the same product key has been
> installed, what will
> happen? Will it work without complication? Or will it need
> to go through another activation and safely? (I will not
> and will not be able to use the two drives simultaneously.)
> If so how many times will I be permitted to do such a
> switching if there is a limit to it?
> (Does information about successful activation stay inside
> the disk or is it in MS's activation database and checked
> out every time the disk is used?)
>
> 2) If I install the same OS in a deifferent partition in
> the same hard drive and use it in the same computer, what
> will happen?

Looks like you have answers to the above. Mostly, it's IMO a "try it and
see". It'll depend on how it reacts to seeing the two different hard
drives - they don't have the same identity internally and will be seen as
different drives. What it may trigger though is anyone's guess, I think.
Worst case you'd end up having to make a phone call, I'd think.

> My thought:
> What Microsoft wants is prevention of a software from its
> use in "different computers" at the same time, isn't it?
> That is, MS does not want piracy. When we purchase a
> "genuine" MS software, however, we own it with every right
> of the ownership and we should be able to use it in every
> way we want as long as we do not commit piracy or illegal
> transaction, right?

Wrong, wrong and wrong. You do NOT "own" the software. It remains the
property of Microsoft. You only have a "license" to use ONE instance of the
program/s at a time on ONE computer. You can not have two installations of
XP without having at least two licenses for it.
You need to read your EULA.
So, no, you do NOT own t wth every right of ownership; Microsoft owns it!
You only license it from them. You can use it only exactly as specified in
the EULA (End User LIcense Agreement).

HTH,

Twayne`

From: Peter on
On 07/27/2010 07:52 PM, Twayne wrote:
> Wrong, wrong and wrong. You do NOT "own" the software. It remains the
> property of Microsoft. You only have a "license" to use ONE instance of the
> program/s at a time on ONE computer. You can not have two installations of
> XP without having at least two licenses for it.

So, you're saying cloning a drive to another drive as a back up is a no
no? Are you also saying that the EULA sets a time limit on how long you
can test a clone to make sure it got cloned properly? Or, are you saying
you can't have two installs of XP on two different machines with only
one license? Or you can't dual boot from one XP hard drive with another?
What *are* you saying?

> You need to read your EULA.

Been there, done that, wore out the T-Shirt. It's mainly about what you
they don't want you to do with what you bought and how MS bears no
responsibility, yada, yada, yada.

> So, no, you do NOT own t wth every right of ownership; Microsoft owns it!
> You only license it from them. You can use it only exactly as specified in
> the EULA (End User LIcense Agreement).
>
> HTH,
>
> Twayne`

You mean you only *may* use it only exactly as specified in the EULA.
What you *can* do with it is another story.

--
Peter