From: Twayne on
In news:i2s022$hs9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
Peter Taylor <fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> typed:
> On 7/29/2010 4:04 AM, Twayne wrote:
>
>>> You mean you only *may* use it only exactly as specified
>>> in the EULA. What you *can* do with it is another story.
>>
>> lol, maybe so in the classroom! If it's MS saying it, they
>> are telling you what you CAN do with it. You MAY NOT do
>> anything else<g>. It's like participles; sometimes it's
>> hard to not use a participle without it hanging, on the
>> end, of a sentence, about something, sort of. lol HTH,
>>
>> Twayne`
>>

> For example, if you want to have the same XP license on two
> different computers, all you have to do is wait 120 days
> after the first install was activated and then you can
> install it on another machine and it will activate, become
> genuine, etc. The EULA says you *may* not do that but in
> practice, you *can*. The same thing is true with Office. It
> doesn't matter if the license is OEM or Retail. The only
> time you would would have a problem is if the license is a
> branded OEM from the likes of Acer, HP or Dell.

Untl you come to wanting to do updates or anything with the MS site that
requires verification. 120 days doesn't mean the old records don't exist;
they do.

From: Peter Taylor on
On 7/29/2010 4:59 PM, Twayne wrote:
> In news:i2s022$hs9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
> Peter Taylor<fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> typed:

>>> lol, maybe so in the classroom! If it's MS saying it, they
>>> are telling you what you CAN do with it. You MAY NOT do
>>> anything else<g>. It's like participles; sometimes it's
>>> hard to not use a participle without it hanging, on the
>>> end, of a sentence, about something, sort of. lol HTH,
>>>
>>> Twayne`
>>>

>> For example, if you want to have the same XP license on two
>> different computers, all you have to do is wait 120 days
>> after the first install was activated and then you can
>> install it on another machine and it will activate, become
>> genuine, etc. The EULA says you *may* not do that but in
>> practice, you *can*. The same thing is true with Office. It
>> doesn't matter if the license is OEM or Retail. The only
>> time you would would have a problem is if the license is a
>> branded OEM from the likes of Acer, HP or Dell.
>
> Untl you come to wanting to do updates or anything with the MS site that
> requires verification. 120 days doesn't mean the old records don't exist;
> they do.

No, they don't. They wipe the slate every 120 days.

--
Peter Taylor
From: Doum on
Peter Taylor <fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> �crivait

> On 7/29/2010 4:59 PM, Twayne wrote:
>> In news:i2s022$hs9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>> Peter Taylor<fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> typed:

>>> For example, if you want to have the same XP license on two
>>> different computers, all you have to do is wait 120 days
>>> after the first install was activated and then you can
>>> install it on another machine and it will activate, become
>>> genuine, etc. The EULA says you *may* not do that but in
>>> practice, you *can*. The same thing is true with Office. It
>>> doesn't matter if the license is OEM or Retail. The only
>>> time you would would have a problem is if the license is a
>>> branded OEM from the likes of Acer, HP or Dell.
>>
>> Untl you come to wanting to do updates or anything with the MS site
>> that requires verification. 120 days doesn't mean the old records
>> don't exist; they do.
>>

> No, they don't. They wipe the slate every 120 days.

What would happen if "windows update" runs WGA on both machine within 120
days?
From: Peter Taylor on
On 7/31/2010 8:48 PM, Doum wrote:
> Peter Taylor<fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> �crivait
>
>> On 7/29/2010 4:59 PM, Twayne wrote:
>>> In news:i2s022$hs9$1(a)news.eternal-september.org,
>>> Peter Taylor<fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> typed:

>>> Untl you come to wanting to do updates or anything with the MS site
>>> that requires verification. 120 days doesn't mean the old records
>>> don't exist; they do.
>>>

>> No, they don't. They wipe the slate every 120 days.
>>

> What would happen if "windows update" runs WGA on both machine within 120
> days?

Auto updates, with it set to inform but not download or install. Pick
the updates you want when AU informs you there's updates available,
although, as both are legit licenses, WGA would probably not squawk. WGA
is not a security update so you can safely hide it from ever offering
itself again, although, as new versions of WGA come out, they will also
need to be hidden if you so choose to do so.

--
Peter Taylor
From: "KernelDebugger" kerneldebugger on

"Peter Taylor" <fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> wrote in message
> On 7/31/2010 8:48 PM, Doum wrote:
>> Peter Taylor<fakeemail(a)fakeemail.com.invalid> �crivait

>>> No, they don't. They wipe the slate every 120 days.
>>>

>> What would happen if "windows update" runs WGA on both machine within 120
>> days?
>
> Auto updates, with it set to inform but not download or install. Pick the
> updates you want when AU informs you there's updates available, although,
> as both are legit licenses, WGA would probably not squawk. WGA is not a
> security update so you can safely hide it from ever offering itself again,
> although, as new versions of WGA come out, they will also need to be
> hidden if you so choose to do so.
>
> --
> Peter Taylor

I purchased a WinXP OEM CD from ebay, installed it and it activated okay. I
went to MS updates, and kaboom, big screen warning, this version is
fraudulent, this is not an authentic Microsoft product. So I turned it in
for an authentic one.