From: ks2008 on

Hi All,
I could able to create the "Cross project Link", but how do I view the
link details, just I created ?
Thanks
KS

--
ks2008
ks2008's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/106957.htm

http://forums.techarena.in

From: JulieS on
Hello ks2008,

The external predecessor/successor information should show in the
predecessor field. Double click on the external task and it will
open the project containing the cross-project link.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you get along.

Julie
Project MVP

Visit http://project.mvps.org/ for the FAQs and additional
information about Microsoft Project

From: ks2008 on

Yes, if I click on the external task in proj01, it open the project(
proj02) containing the cross-project link.
However Predecessors & Successors` fields are empty ( see, proj 01).

Still I am not clear.
How I could view the link for the extranal task I created in proj01 ?
How I could say the task is an extranal task with out clicking on it ?
and the link of that an external task.?

Note: Proj01 is the project conaining external task.
Task # 13, 14 & 15 are external task in Proj01.

Proj01
=====
ID Project Task name Priority Predecessors Successors` Start
12 Tea01 Creamer 500 Wed 12/2/09
13 Tea01 get Sugar03 500 Tue 11/17/09
14 Tea01 Get Water03 500 Tue 11/17/09
15 Tea01 Get leaves03 500 Tue 11/17/09

Proj02
=====

From: JulieS on
Hi ks2008,

I think we may be talking about two different things.

There is a difference between external predecessors/successors and
"links" which show up under the Edit > Links command. The Edit >
Links shows information linked through OLE (Object Linking and
embedding) and is created through a copy/paste special, link
command. If you've created the "link" through copy/paste special,
there will not be anything showing in the predecessor/successor
field. However, those types of links are *not* external
predecessors and successors.

External predecessors/successors can be created by making a
consolidated project, selecting the two tasks and clicking the Link
Tasks button. My guess is that you did not create external
predecessors and successors.

If you have the option "Show external predecessors and successors
selected" on the View tab of the Options dialog box, you should see
both the external task in the Task table as well as the gray task
bar showing in the Gantt chart. You should also see the information
in the predecessor or successors field. See Help on creating links
between tasks in different projects.

From your description, it appears as though you may have created
"links" through a copy/paste link command and not through the
creation of external predecessors and successors.

I hope this helps.

Julie

From: ks2008 on

You are perfect. Thanks for your detailed explanation.
Thanks
KS