From: salgud on
On Wed, 9 Dec 2009 00:02:24 -0800 (PST), talar wrote:

> Hello, I'm trying to find out where Microsoft Project 2007 shows
> probability or variance for critical task.
> For eg. I would like to know what is probability that project will be
> finished on 15 december (planed date is 17 dec).
> I have calculated PERT for every task but I can't even find variance
> column to calulate it manually from equation:
> z = (d-m)/sd
> where:
> d - specific date
> m - mean date
> sd - standard deviation

Listen to Rod. Besides the fact that Risk Analysis software will do all
that and more for you, PERT has been found to be statistically unsound.
Yes, I know it's been in use for years. I first learned and applied it in
the 1970's, and it had been around for a while by then. Nonetheless, it's
not a valid method for getting representative risk-based estimates of task
durations. Monte Carlo analysis is.

Hope this helps.