From: Bob Riemersma on
"David Youngblood" <dwy(a)flash.net> wrote in message
> Are they bugs that were *added* by this update, are bugs that existed and
> not correted by this update?
>
> David

New bugs, often of an "off by one" nature.

One of them in the Winsock control causes it to return things like resolved
IP addresses (RemoteHost I think) short by one character/digit. Some in
MSChart cause problems where one-based collection indexes end up zero-based.
Some cause your program to crash hard on certain operations.

Fairly serious stuff really.

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Bob Riemersma" <nospam(a)nil.net> wrote:

>A lot of people looked at this May 2009 reissue of the December 2008
>"Cumulative Update." I know of bugs in both MSChart20.ocx and in
>MSWinsck.ocx, and for all I know there are others.
>
>This is not designed to be uninstalled, so test carefully before installing
>it into any production system. The bad thing is these OCXs are normally
>deployed globally by the average developer, so while they might work for
>your application they could break every other application on that computer.
>They are probably safest to test by creating isolated applications via
>reg-free COM. That or test in a VM.

All of which makes me glad I spend the extra work using code and API
alternatives.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: MM on
On Sun, 1 Nov 2009 03:54:44 -0500, "Bob Riemersma" <nospam(a)nil.net>
wrote:

>"Abhishek" <me(a)server.com> wrote in message
>> Visual Basic 6.0 Service Pack 6 Cumulative Update KB957924
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cb824e35-0403-45c4-9e41-459f0eb89e36&displaylang=en
>>

>> anyone tried it?
>
>A lot of people looked at this May 2009 reissue of the December 2008
>"Cumulative Update." I know of bugs in both MSChart20.ocx and in
>MSWinsck.ocx, and for all I know there are others.
>
>This is not designed to be uninstalled, so test carefully before installing
>it into any production system. The bad thing is these OCXs are normally
>deployed globally by the average developer, so while they might work for
>your application they could break every other application on that computer.
>They are probably safest to test by creating isolated applications via
>reg-free COM. That or test in a VM.
>
>If anyone else has better information I'll be glad to hear it though. I'm
>still waiting for Microsoft to take another stab at this.
>
>Of course this update applies to Windows 7. None of these OCXs ship with
>any version of Windows.

Heh heh! Reg-free COM is your friend and helper! (No one's complained
yet about Know The Notes.)

MM
From: mayayana on
> All of which makes me glad I spend the extra work using code and API
> alternatives.

I'll second that. If I understand the story
correctly, MS issued new controls to fix
security risks, and those new controls are
themselves broken. On top of that, my Win98
is not supported to install the update, despite
the fact that it's supported by VB/VS6.

So I'm doubly lucky that I don't want this latest
"improvement". :)

On the bright side, it's clear that MS intends to
support VB for a long time to come. I downloaded
and unpacked the installer just to see what's in
there. Looking at the version info. on the properties
tab for the first control, ComCt232.ocx, I see under
Comments: March 24, 19109. :)

From: Rick Rothstein on
> On the bright side, it's clear that MS intends to
> support VB for a long time to come. I downloaded
> and unpacked the installer just to see what's in
> there. Looking at the version info. on the properties
> tab for the first control, ComCt232.ocx, I see under
> Comments: March 24, 19109. :)

Our VB6 programs will continue to work for the next 17000+ years... that is
good to know. I'll bet none of the VB.NET versions will be guaranteed to
work anywhere near that long. I guess that proves, in the long run, that VB6
is the superior product in Microsoft's eyes.

<g>

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)