From: Mojo on
Hi All

I use the MSFLEXGRD.OCX file in my VB6 app so that I can utilise this file's
grid-like features.

When I originally created my app the idea was that the user would use my
installer (used InnoSetup to create it) and at the same time as installing
my files, shortcuts, etc it would also install this OCX file into the system
folder and register it.

Now this is fine, but due to the user's that are using my app and the
infrastructure that they are working in, I can't do the install method and
have to go the portable route. This is easy for my app and data as they all
reside within the one folder, but my one stumbling block is that I've got to
supply the user with a little installer that installs this OCX and registers
it, which makes the whole concept of being a portable a lie.

Now the reason why this is a faff is because the users are teachers in a
school and they may use upto 70 diff machines (I kid you not they have to
find the next available machine!!) to use my portable app, but this means
that the technician in school has to go round and install the support files
installer (ie the OCX installer) on 70 odd machines and make sure he
installs it on every new machine that they use. This becomes a real faff
and I'm none too popular with the technicians!!

I can't install and register the OCX via the app, as 9 out of 10 teachers
don't have admin rights to install on a machine.

My query is therefore, can I put the MSFLXGRD.OCX in my portable folder and
simply call/use it within my app without having to put it in the system
folder and register it????

Thanks

From: Kev Provance on
Google "reg free com", but it's a bit of work to implement it properly.

If you want a hack solution, put the OCX file in your apps dir and register
it when you start your app, before loading any interface (ie Sub Main)

--
2025
If you do not believe in time travel,

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=43606237254

From: Nobody on
"Mojo" <please(a)dont.spam.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
>
> I use the MSFLEXGRD.OCX file in my VB6 app so that I can utilise this
> file's
> grid-like features.
>
> When I originally created my app the idea was that the user would use my
> installer (used InnoSetup to create it) and at the same time as installing
> my files, shortcuts, etc it would also install this OCX file into the
> system
> folder and register it.
>
> Now this is fine, but due to the user's that are using my app and the
> infrastructure that they are working in, I can't do the install method and
> have to go the portable route. This is easy for my app and data as they
> all
> reside within the one folder, but my one stumbling block is that I've got
> supply the user with a little installer that installs this OCX and
> registers
> it, which makes the whole concept of being a portable a lie.
>
> Now the reason why this is a faff is because the users are teachers in a
> school and they may use upto 70 diff machines (I kid you not they have to
> find the next available machine!!) to use my portable app, but this means
> that the technician in school has to go round and install the support
> files
> installer (ie the OCX installer) on 70 odd machines and make sure he
> installs it on every new machine that they use. This becomes a real faff
> and I'm none too popular with the technicians!!
>
> I can't install and register the OCX via the app, as 9 out of 10 teachers
> don't have admin rights to install on a machine.
>
> My query is therefore, can I put the MSFLXGRD.OCX in my portable folder
> and
> simply call/use it within my app without having to put it in the system
> folder and register it????

Some options:

1 - If all machines are running XP+SP2 and after, then you can use this
method:

DLL/COM Redirection on Windows:

2 - It's possible to install or run any executable on all computers on a
domain with a single command line. The user must be a Domain Admin for this
to work. Example command line:

psexec \\* -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes /norestart

The installer file must not match any protected OS file because the tool
would try to copy it to the system directory, so you cannot call it
"setup.exe" for example. PsExec auto creates a service on the target
computer, then use it to run your file.

PsExec:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb897553.aspx

If they are not using a domain, but workgroups, then the admin needs to
create a new group and call it something like "LabAdmins", "SchoolAdmins",
or "NetAdmins", etc., then go to each computer and add "LabAdmins" to the
local "Administrators" group. This only need to be done once. Later, for
each school admin, they only need to add that admin to the "LabAdmins" group
for him to have that privilege, so the admin can run administration tools on
these computers remotely.

I am not sure if using "\\*" is okay when workgroups are used, perhaps you
can find out by searching the newsgroups. But you could specify a computer
name or IP address this way:

psexec \\PC1 -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes
/norestart
psexec \\PC2 -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes
/norestart
psexec \\192.168.1.101 -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes
/norestart
psexec \\192.168.1.102 -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes
/norestart

From: Nobody on
"Kev Provance" <asdf(a)asdf.asdf> wrote in message
> If you want a hack solution, put the OCX file in your apps dir and
> register
> it when you start your app, before loading any interface (ie Sub Main)

There are two problems with this, you probably know this, but didn't give
the problem enough time:

1 - Installing OCX (without reg free com) to anywhere but what the author
recommends is a bad idea. All applications will start using this version
even if it's an older version. For the OP's case, he needs to check the file
version and install into the System folder if the file being installed is
newer.

2 - Registering ActiveX files requires Power Users or higher. In case of
Vista+, it would fail unless the user used "Run as Administrator", or a
second EXE is used that has "asAdministrator" manifest. In these cases, an
elevation prompt shows up.

From: Nobody on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message
> psexec \\* -c -d -f -i MySetup.exe /verysilent /suppressmsgboxes
> /norestart

I forgot one thing. If you use PsExec, make sure that the installer doesn't
run the file at the end of the installation, because it would run it with
the same privileges as the user who used PsExec. If your application shows a
common dialog, the user can run other applications by right clicking and
using "Open" menu item. To eliminate this problem, add the following
parameter to the line that runs the application in your Inno script so the
entry is not run when using silent installation:

Check: Not WizardSilent()

You can also add your own command line option, put you need to add [Code] to
handle it.