From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
Paul Clement <UseAdddressAtEndofMessage(a)swspectrum.com> wrote:

>� Now if MS does stop including the VB6 runtime in Windows 8 I wonder if
>� this could be used to include the VB6 runtime with your app?
>
>It might be a moot point if there is no 32-bit version of, or subsystem in, the next version of the
>OS.

With any luck I'll be dead by then.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>> Now if MS does stop including the VB6 runtime in Windows 8 I wonder if
>> this could be used to include the VB6 runtime with your app?
>
>A common misconception about the VB runtime is that it needs to be
>installed/registered. Just not the case. You can run a ClassicVB application
>directly off a CD if the runtime exists in the same folder as the exe, just as it
>would work with any other standard DLL. It's really that simple,

I didn't know enough about the runtime to have any misconceptions
<smile>. Thanks for the clarification.

>until you start dragging other ActiveX stuff into it.

In my case I'm staying very, very far away from anything that requires
any additional files or an install routine. My utility is drag and
drop deployment and will stay that way.

Tony

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
>>until you start dragging other ActiveX stuff into it.
>
> In my case I'm staying very, very far away from anything that requires
> any additional files or an install routine. My utility is drag and
> drop deployment and will stay that way.

Try it on a VM without the runtime installed. You'll probably be pleasently
surprised. Another proof of concept would be VB5-authored stuff on a new Win7
install.
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote:

>>>until you start dragging other ActiveX stuff into it.
>>
>> In my case I'm staying very, very far away from anything that requires
>> any additional files or an install routine. My utility is drag and
>> drop deployment and will stay that way.
>
>Try it on a VM without the runtime installed. You'll probably be pleasently
>surprised.

Oh yes, I've already, in passing, tested that.

>Another proof of concept would be VB5-authored stuff on a new Win7
>install.

Nope. I don't have VB5, although I do have VB4 on floppies somewhere,
and I have no interest in playing with stuff that apparently doesn't
work in Win 7 as it doesn't have the VB5 runtime installed.

Tony
From: Eduardo on
Karl E. Peterson escribi�:
> Tony Toews [MVP] wrote:
>> Now if MS does stop including the VB6 runtime in Windows 8 I wonder if
>> this could be used to include the VB6 runtime with your app?
>
> A common misconception about the VB runtime is that it needs to be
> installed/registered. Just not the case. You can run a ClassicVB application
> directly off a CD if the runtime exists in the same folder as the exe, just as it
> would work with any other standard DLL. It's really that simple, until you start
> dragging other ActiveX stuff into it.

I didn't test it with VB6, but with VB5 I did and it didn't work.

It was when I wanted to show an install screen from the autorun of a CD.
I had to do it in VB4, because I found that VB4 dlls worked without
being installed and registered, but not the VB5 ones.
But as I said, I didn't test it with VB6.

Are you sure about that?