From: Nobody on
"Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote in message
> What do you think of the notion of using regfree COM for externals in this
> scenario?

Regfree COM requires XP minimum(XP+SP2 for.Nxt), but I don't know if MS plan
to support it forever. I tend not to use something new until it's ironed
out, plus I don't need to use it. For minimum requirements, see here:

Requirements for Registration-Free COM Interop
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f8h7012w(VS.71).aspx

What maybe confusing in MSDN is that Windows 2000 supports DLL redirection,
but this is for standard DLL's only.

To take advantage of Regfree COM, you need to create a manifest, which you
can use this software to generate it:

Make My Manifest(MMM):
http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/mmm-next-generation-1166.html

Quote: "MMM is a post-build tool for VB6 Standard EXE projects. It scans a
project's VBP file and from there chases down dependencies and builds an
XCopy deployment package."

The manifest is basically a text file with the same file name as the EXE,
but with ".manifest" appended at the end. So if the EXE filename is
"Project1.exe", then the manifest filename is "Project1.exe.manifest".

From: Eduardo on
Karl E. Peterson escribi�:

> The file 'OLEAUT32.DLL' is out of date. This program needs a newer version."

I don't remember what the error was. May be it was that about
'OLEAUT32.DLL'.

Or may be the error appeared when I tried to run the program in a
machine with the VB5 runtime already installed.

What I can say, is that with VB4, I never encountered a problem.

The VB4 files that I include in the CD are:
MSVCRT20.DLL v 2.11.0.0
MSVCRT40.DLL v 4.0.0.5270
OLEPRO32.DLL v 4.0.0.5277
VB40032.DLL v 4.0.29.24
VEN2232.OLB v 2.0.0.5924
From: Mike Williams on
"Nobody" <nobody(a)nobody.com> wrote in message

> To take advantage of Regfree COM, you need to create a manifest,
> which you can use this software to generate it:
> Make My Manifest(MMM):
> http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/mmm-next-generation-1166.html
> The manifest is basically a text file with the same file name as the
> EXE, but with ".manifest" appended at the end. So if the EXE
> filename is "Project1.exe", then the manifest filename is
> "Project1.exe.manifest".

Also note that MMM can embed the manifest into the compiled EXE for you, so
there is no need for a separate manifest file.

Mike

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Nobody wrote:
> "Karl E. Peterson" <karl(a)exmvps.org> wrote ...
>> What do you think of the notion of using regfree COM for externals in this
>> scenario?
>
> Regfree COM requires XP minimum(XP+SP2 for.Nxt), but I don't know if MS plan
> to support it forever.

Yeah, good point on the latter, and of course I knew the former. But I guess I've
gotten around to being comfortable with saying XP is the baseline for which I now
build. It's funny that I can only now say that, as I contemplate perhaps moving to
Windows 7, 64-bit, as my day-to-day operating environment. <bg>

> I tend not to use something new until it's ironed
> out, plus I don't need to use it.

Me to/either, really.
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org

From: Karl E. Peterson on
Eduardo wrote:
> Karl E. Peterson escribi�:
>
>> The file 'OLEAUT32.DLL' is out of date. This program needs a newer version."
>
> I don't remember what the error was. May be it was that about
> 'OLEAUT32.DLL'.
>
> Or may be the error appeared when I tried to run the program in a
> machine with the VB5 runtime already installed.
>
> What I can say, is that with VB4, I never encountered a problem.
>
> The VB4 files that I include in the CD are:
> MSVCRT20.DLL v 2.11.0.0
> MSVCRT40.DLL v 4.0.0.5270
> OLEPRO32.DLL v 4.0.0.5277
> VB40032.DLL v 4.0.29.24
> VEN2232.OLB v 2.0.0.5924

With VB3, it was even easier. (And I've been known to whip out VB3 for an autorun
as recently as, uhh, well, a coupla years ago!)
--
..NET: It's About Trust!
http://vfred.mvps.org