From: Schmidt on

"Mojo" <please(a)dont.spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> My query is therefore, can I put the MSFLXGRD.OCX
> in my portable folder and simply call/use it within my app
> without having to put it in the system folder and register it????

Aside from 'Nobodys' suggestions you can also take
a look at:
http://www.molebox.com/

This would allow, to "bundle and ship" all your satellite-Dlls and
OCXes within your hosting (single) Exe-file.
And IIRC this tool doesn't achive that using "temporary
extracting and registering" of the bundled COM-binaries.
It IMO hooks the process-internal calls to the registry APIs and
delivers "appropriate answers", which lead to direct instantiations
of the wanted "internal COMponents" of the upstarting
"bundling Exe".

Don't know if that tool yet works properly on Vista/Win7 -
but due to its base-concept it should (IMO).

Olaf

From: Mike Williams on
"Mojo" <please(a)dont.spam.com> wrote in message

> My query is therefore, can I put the MSFLXGRD.OCX in my
> portable folder and simply call/use it within my app
> without having to put it in the system folder and
> register it????

If your app is going to be run on WinXP or later then the answer is Yes. You
can use Regfree COM, commonly known as XCopy deployment. To do so you need
to create a manifest file which can be distributed with your compiled VB6
exe file (or alternatively embedded into it). Any components (such as the
MSFLXGRID.OCX or RICHTX32.OCX or whatever else your app needs) can then be
simply placed in the same folder as your VB6 compiled exe file (together
with whatever other supporting files you are already placing there), and the
whole folder sent to your user. When your VB6 compiled exe file is run at
the user's end then it will automatically use the OCXs in its own folder,
without them needing to be copied anywhere else or registered or whatever.

The process of creating the manifest file, and of embedding it into your
compiled exe if you wish, is made extremely simple by a very nice tool
called MMM (Make My Manifest), which will analyze your VB6 project files for
you and automatically create (and if required embed) the required manifest
file. It really is a very useful tool, and it takes all the hard work out of
it for you. The only version I have used myself is version 6.6 and it works
really well, although I think it is up to about version 7 by now. You can
download it at:

http://mmm4vb6.atom5.com/

Mike

From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Mojo" <please(a)dont.spam.com> wrote:

>My query is therefore, can I put the MSFLXGRD.OCX in my portable folder and
>simply call/use it within my app without having to put it in the system
>folder and register it????

Thanks for asking this question. Some very interesting and useful
answers.

Tony
--
Tony Toews, Microsoft Access MVP
For a free, convenient utility to keep your users FEs and other files
From: Tony Toews [MVP] on
"Schmidt" <sss(a)online.de> wrote:

>Aside from 'Nobodys' suggestions you can also take
>a look at:
>http://www.molebox.com/

Now if MS does stop including the VB6 runtime in Windows 8 I wonder if
this could be used to include the VB6 runtime with your app?

Tony
From: Henning on

"Schmidt" <sss(a)online.de> skrev i meddelandet

> "Mojo" <please(a)dont.spam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
>
>> My query is therefore, can I put the MSFLXGRD.OCX
>> in my portable folder and simply call/use it within my app
>> without having to put it in the system folder and register it????
>
> Aside from 'Nobodys' suggestions you can also take
> a look at:
> http://www.molebox.com/
>
> This would allow, to "bundle and ship" all your satellite-Dlls and
> OCXes within your hosting (single) Exe-file.
> And IIRC this tool doesn't achive that using "temporary
> extracting and registering" of the bundled COM-binaries.
> It IMO hooks the process-internal calls to the registry APIs and
> delivers "appropriate answers", which lead to direct instantiations
> of the wanted "internal COMponents" of the upstarting
> "bundling Exe".
>
> Don't know if that tool yet works properly on Vista/Win7 -
> but due to its base-concept it should (IMO).
>
> Olaf

Would it not be possible to create the folder ex. C:\MyApp, copy
MSFLXGRD.OCX there, and in Project Components browse to C:\MyApp and add
*that* MSFLXGRD.OCX as the component to use, without registering?

It would demand the app to always run in that foldername though.

/Henning