From: TMitchell on
WinXP full patched and updated. Cursor started moving around somewhat
spasmodically last week, but after a reboot it stopped. Started again
yesterday and will not stop. Does this whether or not a mouse of any
type (wireless, USB, etc.)is plugged in at all.

Also starting today, upon reboot the OEM (Gateway) splash screen stays
on screen for over ten minutes before the system password login screen
appears and I can finish booting.

Any ideas on either of these recent problems?
From: John Wunderlich on
TMitchell <tmitche2(a)ix.netcom.com> wrote in

> WinXP full patched and updated. Cursor started moving around
> somewhat spasmodically last week, but after a reboot it stopped.
> Started again yesterday and will not stop. Does this whether or
> not a mouse of any type (wireless, USB, etc.)is plugged in at all.
>
> Also starting today, upon reboot the OEM (Gateway) splash screen
> stays on screen for over ten minutes before the system password
> login screen appears and I can finish booting.
>
> Any ideas on either of these recent problems?

Typically when this happens, there is a task that is using 100% of your
CPU time -- often caused by a virus or malware. Check by running "Task
Manager" (Alt-Ctrl-Del then "TaskManager" then "Processes" tab) and
look for a process using 100% CPU.

I recommend you boot to Safe Mode and run a Malware check on your
machine with a program such as [freeware] "Malwarebytes".

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/>

HTH,
John