From: Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] on
Are you trying to apply a new mail profile or modify an existing one? Does the .prf file configure Outlook as desired if you run it manually?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

From: AJ on
On Mar 20, 3:47 pm, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
<sue...(a)outlookcode.com> wrote:
> The Office 2003 ORK tools are useful only for deploying and managing Office 2003 installations.
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
> and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
> Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
> http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "AJ" <andyjone...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in messagenews:1174403799.985196.19200(a)b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
> > Is there any issues with versions I should be aware of, will the
> > Office 2003 resource kit tools work with all older versions of office
> > installations?
> > Thanks again- Hide quoted text -

Hi Sue

I ran the PRF file manually and this works no problem. Some users will
already have a profile which needs to be kept. Even though they don't
use exchange yet they use outlook for contacts and tasks etc and just
have a local PST file.

Here is what I have:
A local installation of Office 2003 which I beleive is SP1 buy maybe
RTM, this was installed from an admin share (Installation point)
I have created another admin share in a seperate directory and patched
the RTM version of Office with SP2.
When I run setup using the following syntax
SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=X:\MICROSOFT\OFFICE2003PROSP2\OUTLOOk.MST /qb-
The local install of office is updated to SP2, but the profile is not
applied to Outlook. I have also configured the MST file to remove
older versions of Outlook.
I must be doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure
it out!

The other option I have is to setup outlook to apply a PRF file on
first run by making a reg setting change at login (Which I have tested
fine) but this does nothing with removing old versions and giving the
user the latest version of Outlook 2003 which is what we want to
acheive.

Thanks for your help

AJ

From: Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] on
> The other option I have is to setup outlook to apply a PRF file on
> first run by making a reg setting change at login (Which I have tested
> fine) but this does nothing with removing old versions and giving the
> user the latest version of Outlook 2003 which is what we want to
> acheive.

If you deploy a profile using the .mst file, it uses exactly the same mechanism. You can check this for yourself using the MST viewer. Maybe something is wrong with the .mst file.

> I ran the PRF file manually and this works no problem. Some users will
> already have a profile which needs to be kept. Even though they don't
> use exchange yet they use outlook for contacts and tasks etc and just
> have a local PST file.

So the PRF is set up to always modify the default profile?

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

From: AJ on
On Mar 21, 12:32 pm, "Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook]"
<sue...(a)outlookcode.com> wrote:
> > The other option I have is to setup outlook to apply a PRF file on
> > first run by making a reg setting change at login (Which I have tested
> > fine) but this does nothing with removing old versions and giving the
> > user the latest version of Outlook 2003 which is what we want to
> > acheive.
>
> If you deploy a profile using the .mst file, it uses exactly the same mechanism. You can check this for yourself using the MST viewer. Maybe something is wrong with the .mst file.
>
> > I ran the PRF file manually and this works no problem. Some users will
> > already have a profile which needs to be kept. Even though they don't
> > use exchange yet they use outlook for contacts and tasks etc and just
> > have a local PST file.
>
> So the PRF is set up to always modify the default profile?
>
> --
> Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP
> Author of Configuring Microsoft Outlook 2003
> http://www.turtleflock.com/olconfig/index.htm
> and Microsoft Outlook Programming - Jumpstart for
> Administrators, Power Users, and Developers
> http://www.outlookcode.com/jumpstart.aspx
>

> "AJ" <andyjone...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in messagenews:1174473025.531757.52530(a)e65g2000hsc.googlegroups.com...
>
> >> "AJ" <andyjone...(a)hotmail.co.uk> wrote in messagenews:1174403799.985196.19200(a)b75g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...
>
> > I ran the PRF file manually and this works no problem. Some users will
> > already have a profile which needs to be kept. Even though they don't
> > use exchange yet they use outlook for contacts and tasks etc and just
> > have a local PST file.
>
> > Here is what I have:
> > A local installation of Office 2003 which I beleive is SP1 buy maybe
> > RTM, this was installed from an admin share (Installation point)
> > I have created another admin share in a seperate directory and patched
> > the RTM version of Office with SP2.
> > When I run setup using the following syntax
> > SETUP.EXE TRANSFORMS=X:\MICROSOFT\OFFICE2003PROSP2\OUTLOOk.MST /qb-
> > The local install of office is updated to SP2, but the profile is not
> > applied to Outlook. I have also configured the MST file to remove
> > older versions of Outlook.
> > I must be doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure
> > it out!
>
> > Thanks for your help
>
> > AJ- Hide quoted text -

On doing some more investigation into this, I can see that the MST
file is working as I changed the org name for the office install and
when I looked in Outlook the org name matched. It looks as though it's
just the profile which is not getting updated but when I run the PRF
manually all works. I have done a few more tests and some work and
some dont and I am using the same machine, it is so not consistent and
very frustrating!!!!!

Im clean out of ideas..................

AJ

From: Sue Mosher [MVP-Outlook] on
Still looking for feedback on whether you examined the .mst file with the viewer to see whether it contains the correct .prf file and the right registry values to deploy it.

--
Sue Mosher, Outlook MVP

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4