From: ashok.sandya on
Hi,

I am new to SharePoint and I will appreciate if someone can give me an
idea about how to implement this.
I am using WSS V3. I have a custom list called Projects which has a
coulmn called "Project Name". When a user goes to this list, I only
want to show him the rows where the "Project Name" is equal to the
Projects he belongs to. I have a table in my own sql server DB where I
have stored what projects this user belongs to.
An Administrator should be able to view all rows but any other user
should only be able to view his own project rows. Similarly, the user
should be able to add items to this list only for his Projects.

Please let me know what is the best way to implement this.

Thanks for the help
Ashok

From: chris on
On Feb 15, 12:19 pm, ashok.san...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to SharePoint and I will appreciate if someone can give me an
> idea about how to implement this.
> I am using WSS V3. I have a custom list called Projects which has a
> coulmn called "Project Name". When a user goes to this list, I only
> want to show him the rows where the "Project Name" is equal to the
> Projects he belongs to. I have a table in my own sql server DB where I
> have stored what projects this user belongs to.
> An Administrator should be able to view all rows but any other user
> should only be able to view his own project rows. Similarly, the user
> should be able to add items to this list only for his Projects.

Hi -

If you want to loop in data from an external daabase, you might
consider a small custom app which makes use of the Lists webservice.
The Lists webservice is located here: http://<Site>/_vti_bin/
Lists.asmx. If all your data could live in SharePoint, this becomes
an easier process.

From: ashok.sandya on
On Feb 15, 12:43 pm, "chris" <chris.cio...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 15, 12:19 pm, ashok.san...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi,
>
> > I am new to SharePoint and I will appreciate if someone can give me an
> > idea about how to implement this.
> > I am using WSS V3. I have a custom list called Projects which has a
> > coulmn called "Project Name". When a user goes to this list, I only
> > want to show him the rows where the "Project Name" is equal to the
> > Projects he belongs to. I have a table in my own sql server DB where I
> > have stored what projects this user belongs to.
> > An Administrator should be able to view all rows but any other user
> > should only be able to view his own project rows. Similarly, the user
> > should be able to add items to this list only for his Projects.
>
> Hi -
>
> If you want to loop in data from an external daabase, you might
> consider a small custom app which makes use of the Lists webservice.
> The Lists webservice is located here: http://<Site>/_vti_bin/
> Lists.asmx. If all your data could live in SharePoint, this becomes
> an easier process.

All my data for the list will live in SharePoint. I just need some
logic plugged in before the list is rendered so that the user can see
a filtered list based on who he is. So, should I write a webpart? or
is the List page itself customizable to show a filtered view?

From: gover on
I had a similatr project. I think this is how we did it using
dataviewwebparts:

We created a list that related users to projects. We displayed this list on
the page in a dataview webpart and filtered it to show only the projects
related to the current user (be setting the filter to [Me] or something like
that.

We then set up the second dataviewebpart on the page which was based on the
list of projects. This Dataview webpart [DVWP] received a filter (using
dataview webpart Connections) from the first dataview webpatr. This caused
the second dvwp to show only projects related to the user selected in the
first dvwp.

BTW our project was on wss 2.0. It never was adopted beacause there was no
item level security. I.E. even if a user did not see the project on the
second dvwp, if he could hack the url , he could see the info.

This is fixed in sps 2007.

If you don't figure it out , post back, i'll give you a hand. You need to
look at how to filter based on the current user.

From: callahan on
If the people who are assigned the projects are members of the sharepoint
site, then you can easily filter the view of a list to show onlt the
projects assigned to that person.

I just did this successfully with a contracting site.

There are a few things that make this possible, built into WSS 3. To
start-- People and Groups. If you create your project list so that the
person assigned column is a lookup field (another capability built into WSS)
to the People and Groups list, then those records can be sorted and filtered
by person easily. Then you just create a list view that filters the view of
the list by the variable [Me]. That variable works like a mirror, showing
only the records that contain the logged in person's projects.

For a live example of how this works, the Tasks list that comes with WSS 3
has this exact view already set it for itself called My Tasks. Check it out
and you'll see it filters by [Me] in the Assigned to field.

What's more, in my contract site, I set the My projects view to be the
default public view. That means that when a user goes to the list, it shows
them their projects by default, and they have to click on the View menu to
get to see all projects.

You can make the All Items view a private view by creating a new view based
on All Items, and make it private. Then, when All Items isn't the default
view anymore (because My projects will be), you can delete it. Then the All
Items look and feel will be yours personally.

Oddly, MS doesn't give WSS the option to secure views by accounts or groups
yet, that I know of. But that would be cool.

HTH,
-callahan