From: JD McLeod on
I am new to Excel 2007 and have two questions. 1. In previous versions, i
was able to create a custom menu bar as a drop down from the top menu and add
macros to it. I could do all of this without having to go in and write code.
Now in 2007, i see how to add a menu bar to the quick access tool bar, but i
can't figure out how to assign macros to that menu bar. Any ideas? 2. How
do you go about creating an add-in that other users could add to their
computer and use? I have never done this before and wanted to know if that
is a good way to share a custom menu bar or tool bar?
Thanks.
From: GS on
JD McLeod brought next idea :
> I am new to Excel 2007 and have two questions. 1. In previous versions, i
> was able to create a custom menu bar as a drop down from the top menu and add
> macros to it. I could do all of this without having to go in and write code.
> Now in 2007, i see how to add a menu bar to the quick access tool bar, but i
> can't figure out how to assign macros to that menu bar. Any ideas? 2. How
> do you go about creating an add-in that other users could add to their
> computer and use? I have never done this before and wanted to know if that
> is a good way to share a custom menu bar or tool bar?
> Thanks.

Yes, creating an addi is probably the easiest approach because you can
control and maintain the macros in a common toolbar rather than having
to get users to update their custom menus. The menus/toolbar will
appear on the Addins tab of the ribbon.

How To:
Put your code in a workbook saved as an addin (.xla). Include code to
build the toolbar and manage it between sessions so it creates itself
on startup and removes itself on shutdown. Do your programming in the
earliest version of Excel you expect users to have.

Books I recommend:
Excel <version> Power Programming with VBA
by John Walkenbach

Excel <version> VBA Programmer's Reference
by Bovey, Bullen, Green

Additionally, there are many people here in this NG that will help you
along the way!

regards,
Garry

From: Dave Peterson on
I'm lazy enough to live with the old method -- but I have to look in the Addins
tab on the ribbon to find my customized toolbars.

If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de Bruin's
site:
http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved as an
addin)
or
http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm

And Bob Phillips shows a way to use a wrapper so that it can work in both xl2003
and xl2007.
http://msmvps.com/blogs/xldynamic/archive/2010/03/27/deploy-me-simple.aspx

--

Dave Peterson
From: Bob Phillips on

"Dave Peterson" <petersod(a)XSPAMverizon.net> wrote in message
> I'm lazy enough to live with the old method -- but I have to look in the
> Addins tab on the ribbon to find my customized toolbars.
>

> If you want to learn about modifying the ribbon, you can start at Ron de
> Bruin's
> site:
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/ribbon.htm
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/qat.htm -- For macros for all workbooks (saved
> as an
> addin)
> or
> http://www.rondebruin.nl/2007addin.htm
>
> And Bob Phillips shows a way to use a wrapper so that it can work in both
> xl2003
> and xl2007.
> http://msmvps.com/blogs/xldynamic/archive/2010/03/27/deploy-me-simple.aspx

Nothing gets by you does it? <bg>

From: Dave Peterson on
You shared that info to another post. So I figured I'd just add it into one of
my "saved from a previous post" replies.

I figured I'd save you some time! <vbg>