From: KenSheridan via AccessMonster.com on
I couldn't agree more, Roger, but "need" can in some cases be a legal
requirement. Things might have changed since I retired, though knowing how
slowly the wheels of legislation grind I doubt it, but in my own field of
work I believe it was a legal requirement that all applications made to the
authority in our quasi-judicial capacity must be numbered sequentially and
immutably in order of date of receipt, and registered as such. The law may
be behind the technology, but its still the law until changed, I'm afraid.

Ken Sheridan
Stafford, England

From: Larry Linson on
"Roger Carlson" <RogerCarlson(a)noemail.noemail> wrote

> I know there are customers who believe they "need"
> sequential numbering for some reason, but I always
> try to dissuade them. Sometimes it works
> sometimes it doesn't, but I try.

Long ago, but not so very far away, in the days of Access 2.0, I was doing
some work for a client on the prototype of an application that presumably
was going to be developed further to cover the workflow in their entire
production process. The "little old* lady accountant" who was one of the
ones who had to approve just about had a fit of apoplexy when she saw
missing numbers and it was explained why.

* not as old then as I am now, I suspect, but a real,
old-time, green eyeshade and sleeve-garters
bookkeeper type person

That's not one of those cases where you want to have a logical discussion to
prove the client's approver wrong. It was simple to correct... slight logic
change, DMAX out of the bag of tricks, and everybody was happy. Except, in
the longer term, the contract broker for whom I was working when they found
out they weren't "in with" the IT manager as they had thought.

He just up and took another job somewhere else, didn't even bother to call
the sales person for the contract broker, and he'd been the executive
sponsor of this particular application. The new IT manager decided to move
everything from client-server to IBM AS-400.

Bye, bye, development contract.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

From: John W. Vinson on
On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 18:13:45 -0600, "Larry Linson" <bouncer(a)localhost.not>
wrote:

>He just up and took another job somewhere else, didn't even bother to call
>the sales person for the contract broker, and he'd been the executive
>sponsor of this particular application. The new IT manager decided to move
>everything from client-server to IBM AS-400.
>
>Bye, bye, development contract.

.... and bye, bye, performance and responsiveness from their database and their
developer/IT staff. Sigh.
--

John W. Vinson [MVP]