From: Larry Linson on
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote

>> I also seem to remember reading somewhere,
>> although I can't provide any evidence, that
>> even if you don't force Access to discard an
>> AutoNumber, it is still possible to have a
>> broken sequence in an incremental AutoNumber.
>
> I don't think so except for the now fixed bug that allowed autonumbers to
> attempt reuse.

Arvin, in either Access 2.0 or 97, I experienced some instances of Access
Autonumbers skipping hundreds or thousands of numbers. I was the only one
working on the databases at the time, and I know that I had not done any of
the "normal causes" hundreds or thousands of times, nor had there been any
delete queries executed. Fortunately, I knew by that time not to rely on
Autonumbers being monotonically increasing, so it was not a problem to me.

And, because it was not a problem for me, I didn't bother to try to analyze
the cause other than what I said in the preceding paragraph.

Larry Linson
Microsoft Office Access MVP

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on

"John W. Vinson" <jvinson(a)STOP_SPAM.WysardOfInfo.com> wrote in message

>>I think we are saying the same thing in different ways. Autonumbers cannot
>>be reused, whether the record is started or deleted. Once used, it's gone.
>
> In that we're in agreement, and my take is that this fact makes
> autonumbers
> completely unsuitable if sequential gapless numbers are required.

The original request did not mention gapless as a requirement. In any case,
and system that allows deletions cannot, by definition, be guaranteed
gapless.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com