From: Tara on
Hello,

I'm working on a survey database in Access 07 and am in need of some of your assistance. I need to develop a Registration # starting at a certain point. This is a 7-digit number (no alphas) where 8146614 is my first Registration #. Each time a Registration # is entered it is to increase by 1 and it needs to show the user the Registration # they are currently working on (in a form). Complicating matters is the possibility of multiple users entering data at the same time. Can you give me some ideas as to how I can accomplish this? This Reservation # is what links most of the tables together. My Reservation table information is below.

tblReservation:
ReservationNo - PK
ContactLastName
ContactFirstName
CompanyName
ComplexName
AddressID
ContactPhone

Thank you for your help!

Putting Twitter Realtime Search to Work
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorials/aspnet/6100d85b-2f27-472d-af24-c9960b55b669/putting-twitter-realtime.aspx
From: Keith Wilby on
<Tara Metzger> wrote in message news:201011912126tltanber(a)yahoo.com...
> Hello,
>
> I'm working on a survey database in Access 07 and am in need of some of
> your assistance. I need to develop a Registration # starting at a certain
> point. This is a 7-digit number (no alphas) where 8146614 is my first
> Registration #. Each time a Registration # is entered it is to increase
> by 1 and it needs to show the user the Registration # they are currently
> working on (in a form). Complicating matters is the possibility of
> multiple users entering data at the same time. Can you give me some ideas
> as to how I can accomplish this? This Reservation # is what links most of
> the tables together. My Reservation table information is below.
>
> tblReservation:
> ReservationNo - PK
> ContactLastName
> ContactFirstName
> CompanyName
> ComplexName
> AddressID
> ContactPhone
>
> Thank you for your help!

Here's one method. Set your form's Allow Additions property to False. Put
a command button on your form and add some code to its Click event to add a
new record and then immediately save it. Assuming you have a text box
called txtReservationNo, change to suit. The code would be something like
this:

Me.txtReservationNo.DefaultValue = Nz(DMax("ReservationNo",
"tblReservation")) + 1

Me.AllowAdditions = True
DoCmd.GoToRecord , , acNewRec
Me.AllowAdditions = False

HTH - Keith.
www.keithwilby.co.uk

From: BruceM via AccessMonster.com on
Take a look at the multi-user example here:
http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=395

It is similar to what Keith has described, but it uses the form's Error event
to generate a new number if the one initially assigned has been taken by
another user. There could be an accompanying message to advise the user the
number has changed.

If it is important that the number the user sees initially be unchanged,
proceed as Keith has described. You could still have code in the Error event,
but if it is ever used it would be immediately, when the record is saved
directly after being created, and before the user has done any data entry.

From: Arvin Meyer [MVP] on
You can use an autonumber. Use an append query to seed the field in the
table with the number 8146613. The first record will start with 8146614.
After entering your first record, simply delete the seed. You're on your
way.
--
Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
http://www.datastrat.com

From: Keith Wilby on
"Arvin Meyer [MVP]" <arvinm(a)mvps.invalid> wrote in message
> You can use an autonumber. Use an append query to seed the field in the
> table with the number 8146613. The first record will start with 8146614.
> After entering your first record, simply delete the seed. You're on your
> way.

Sequential?