From: Douglas J. Steele on
The AutoExec password can be bypassed if the user holds down the Shift key
while opening the database.

The way to prevent this is to create a database propery named
AllowBypassKey, and set its value to False. However, all members of the
Admins group are able to reset this property, and since, by default, all
users of an application that hasn't had Access User-Level Security applied
to it are members of the Admins group, this means what you're trying to do
is virtually an exercise in futility.

--
Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
http://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele

"LightLY" <lightaiyee(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
On Jun 24, 6:26 pm, LightLY <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 6:16 pm, LightLY <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jun 23, 1:17 pm, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

> > > Using macros? No.
>
> > > Using VBA code? Sure, however I'd sure want to have someoe double
> > > check the code to ensure it's been properly randomized so folks can't
> > > guess at the passwords.
>
> > > Also note that folks, when given an assigned password, will always
> > > write them down and hide them within a few feet of their keyboard.
> > > Human nature.
>
> > > (Except for those of us who use programs such as KeePass to store
> > > thier passwords in a secure, encrypted format.)
>
> > > Tony
>
> > Thank you for your help. I am going to start on this soon.
>
> Sorry, I think this may sound stupid. I just realized that I do not
> know where to put the code such that this login-password code always
> runs first before the database is opened.
>
> If someone could advise me, I shall be most grateful. Thank you.

I am pleased to find the answer to my question. It is the Autoexec
macro:)
However, I have a concern about the Autoexec macro. Is there some way
that it can be bypassed? Can the experts here advise? Thank you very
much.

From: LightLY on
On Jun 24, 6:57 pm, "Douglas J. Steele"
<NOSPAM_djsteele(a)NOSPAM_gmail.com> wrote:
> The AutoExec password can be bypassed if the user holds down the Shift key
> while opening the database.
>
> The way to prevent this is to create a database propery named
> AllowBypassKey, and set its value to False. However, all members of the
> Admins group are able to reset this property, and since, by default, all
> users of an application that hasn't had Access User-Level Security applied
> to it are members of the Admins group, this means what you're trying to do
> is virtually an exercise in futility.
>
> --
> Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVPhttp://www.AccessMVP.com/DJSteele
> Co-author: Access 2010 Solutions, published by Wiley
> (no e-mails, please!)
>
> "LightLY" <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Jun 24, 6:26 pm, LightLY <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Thank you for your help. I am going to start on this soon.
>
> > Sorry, I think this may sound stupid. I just realized that I do not
> > know where to put the code such that this login-password code always
> > runs first before the database is opened.
>
> > If someone could advise me, I shall be most grateful. Thank you.
>
> I am pleased to find the answer to my question. It is the Autoexec
> macro:)
> However, I have a concern about the Autoexec macro. Is there some way
> that it can be bypassed? Can the experts here advise? Thank you very
> much.

Oh dear. This is bad news, especially coming from an expert author of
an Access book. I guess the least I can do is to create inconvenience
to people who do not respect intellectual property rights.

Thank you for your reply.
From: Access Developer on
Access' own security is breakable, for free, but it is far and away more
secure than just about any homegrown security approach. Using a server
database and taking advantage of the server DB's security is the "best"
(that is, most secure) approach. Next best, is create MDB/MDE and use
Access' own security. Least effective is a Do-It-Yourself approach. But, if
making the database cracker "work for it is" your goal, you can use a
combination of all three; but, be aware you may spend more time and effort
trying to make the cracker "work for it" than the cracker will, in the end,
have to use to get into your database.

--
Larry Linson, Microsoft Office Access MVP
Co-author: "Microsoft Access Small Business Solutions", published by Wiley