From: LightLY on
Dear Access Gurus,

I woulld like to customize a login password protection scheme for my
database. Based on the login name, a password will be automatically
generated based on certain security algorithm. May I know if this can
be done for Access using macros?

Thank you very much.
From: Tony Toews on
On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:54:06 -0700 (PDT), LightLY
<lightaiyee(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>I woulld like to customize a login password protection scheme for my
>database. Based on the login name, a password will be automatically
>generated based on certain security algorithm. May I know if this can
>be done for Access using macros?

Using macros? No.

Using VBA code? Sure, however I'd sure want to have someoe double
check the code to ensure it's been properly randomized so folks can't
guess at the passwords.

Also note that folks, when given an assigned password, will always
write them down and hide them within a few feet of their keyboard.
Human nature.

(Except for those of us who use programs such as KeePass to store
thier passwords in a secure, encrypted format.)

Tony
From: LightLY on
On Jun 23, 1:17 pm, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
> On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:54:06 -0700 (PDT), LightLY
>
> <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> >I woulld like to customize a login password protection scheme for my
> >database. Based on the login name, a password will be automatically
> >generated based on certain security algorithm. May I know if this can
> >be done for Access using macros?
>
> Using macros?  No.
>
> Using VBA code?  Sure, however I'd sure want to have someoe double
> check the code to ensure it's been properly randomized so folks can't
> guess at the passwords.
>
> Also note that folks, when given an assigned password, will always
> write them down and hide them within a few feet of their keyboard.
> Human nature.
>
> (Except for those of us who use programs such as KeePass to store
> thier passwords in a secure, encrypted format.)
>
> Tony

Thank you for your help. I am going to start on this soon.
From: LightLY on
On Jun 24, 6:16 pm, LightLY <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 23, 1:17 pm, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:
>

> > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 20:54:06 -0700 (PDT), LightLY
>
> > <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > >I woulld like to customize a login password protection scheme for my
> > >database. Based on the login name, a password will be automatically
> > >generated based on certain security algorithm. May I know if this can
> > >be done for Access using macros?
>
> > Using macros?  No.
>
> > Using VBA code?  Sure, however I'd sure want to have someoe double
> > check the code to ensure it's been properly randomized so folks can't
> > guess at the passwords.
>
> > Also note that folks, when given an assigned password, will always
> > write them down and hide them within a few feet of their keyboard.
> > Human nature.
>
> > (Except for those of us who use programs such as KeePass to store
> > thier passwords in a secure, encrypted format.)
>
> > Tony
>
> Thank you for your help. I am going to start on this soon.

Sorry, I think this may sound stupid. I just realized that I do not
know where to put the code such that this login-password code always
runs first before the database is opened.

If someone could advise me, I shall be most grateful. Thank you.
From: LightLY on
On Jun 24, 6:26 pm, LightLY <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 24, 6:16 pm, LightLY <lightai...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jun 23, 1:17 pm, Tony Toews <tto...(a)telusplanet.net> wrote:

> > > Using macros?  No.
>
> > > Using VBA code?  Sure, however I'd sure want to have someoe double
> > > check the code to ensure it's been properly randomized so folks can't
> > > guess at the passwords.
>
> > > Also note that folks, when given an assigned password, will always
> > > write them down and hide them within a few feet of their keyboard.
> > > Human nature.
>
> > > (Except for those of us who use programs such as KeePass to store
> > > thier passwords in a secure, encrypted format.)
>
> > > Tony
>
> > Thank you for your help. I am going to start on this soon.
>
> Sorry, I think this may sound stupid. I just realized that I do not
> know where to put the code such that this login-password code always
> runs first before the database is opened.
>
> If someone could advise me, I shall be most grateful. Thank you.

I am pleased to find the answer to my question. It is the Autoexec
macro:)
However, I have a concern about the Autoexec macro. Is there some way
that it can be bypassed? Can the experts here advise? Thank you very
much.