From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Jan 31, 10:16 pm, paul...(a)compuserve.com wrote:
> On Jan 30, 10:24 pm, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
>

> <vladimir.zakharyc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> > > No, it does not.
>
> > > Cyrillic character set has all ASCII symbols (including English
> > > alphabet), so if you don't have say German or French data, you can use
> > > one of these Cyrillic encoding in Oracle itlself (you must do it) and
> > > NLS_LANG
>
> > > 1) Under Windows: Oracle itself - WE8MSWIN1251
> > > NLS_LANG, for example,
> > > Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251
>
> > > 2) Under Unix: WE8ISO8859P5
> > > NLS_LANG, for example,
> > > Russian.Russia.WE8ISO8859P5
>
> > > --
> > > Regards,
> > > Paul Gorodyansky
> > > "Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
> > > http://RusWin.net
> > > Russian On-screen Keyboard:http://Kbd.RusWin.net
>
> > Couple of corrections are due:
>
> > Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251 should actually be
> > Russian_Russia.CL8MSWIN1251.
>
> Thanks! It's 2nd time I made such mistake - while taking WE8ISO... I
> foget replace "WE" which is "Western European character set" :) while
> it has to be "CL" ("Cyrillic character set").
>
> > Same is true for the Unix version except
> > charset name as it's correct this time.
>
> So under Unix it's still "WE" and not "CL"?
>
> > Russian_CIS can also be used as Language_Territory.
>
> O, thanks.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Paul

I meant that WE8ISO8859P5 is correct charset name. One can try to use
CL8MSWIN1251 either, but I am not sure every Unix out there supports
this code page... :)

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev
N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
http://www.dynamicpsp.com

From: paulgor on

> I meant that WE8ISO8859P5 is correct charset name. One can try to use

My question was about 'WE' in the above - so it's 'WE' and not 'CL'?
That is eventhough iso-8859-5 is encoding for _Cyrillic_ character
set, we have there "WE" (Western European character set) and not "CL",
right?

--
Paul

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Feb 1, 10:55 pm, paul...(a)compuserve.com wrote:
> > I meant that WE8ISO8859P5 is correct charset name. One can try to use
>
> My question was about 'WE' in the above - so it's 'WE' and not 'CL'?
> That is eventhough iso-8859-5 is encoding for _Cyrillic_ character
> set, we have there "WE" (Western European character set) and not "CL",
> right?
>
> --
> Paul

Oh, of course you're right, it's CL, too. Got so used to WE8ISO8859P1
I didn't figure other pages of iso-8859 are for different regions...
Thanks for correcting me in turn. :)

From: paulgor on
Thanks, Valdimir, for useful info - I'll go ahead and fix our 'white
paper' about Russian settings for Oracle!

--
Regards,
Paul