From: athresh on
currently i am using the NLS_LANG charcater set value as
"_.WE8ISO8859P1". i would like to know if it support the Cyrillic
character set.

From: sybrandb on

On Jan 24, 5:00 am, athr...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> currently i am using the NLS_LANG charcater set value as
> "_.WE8ISO8859P1". i would like to know if it support the Cyrillic
> character set.

no, it doesn't. P1 is ECMA Latin-1. IIRC you need P9.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA

From: paulgor on
On Jan 23, 8:00 pm, athr...(a)gmail.com wrote:
> currently i am using the NLS_LANG charcater set value as
> "_.WE8ISO8859P1". i would like to know if it support the Cyrillic
> character set.

No, it does not.

Cyrillic character set has all ASCII symbols (including English
alphabet), so if you don't have say German or French data, you can use
one of these Cyrillic encoding in Oracle itlself (you must do it) and
NLS_LANG

1) Under Windows: Oracle itself - WE8MSWIN1251
NLS_LANG, for example,
Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251

2) Under Unix: WE8ISO8859P5
NLS_LANG, for example,
Russian.Russia.WE8ISO8859P5

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Jan 31, 8:56 am, paul...(a)compuserve.com wrote:
> On Jan 23, 8:00 pm, athr...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> > currently i am using the NLS_LANG charcater set value as
> > "_.WE8ISO8859P1". i would like to know if it support the Cyrillic
> > character set.
>
> No, it does not.
>
> Cyrillic character set has all ASCII symbols (including English
> alphabet), so if you don't have say German or French data, you can use
> one of these Cyrillic encoding in Oracle itlself (you must do it) and
> NLS_LANG
>
> 1) Under Windows: Oracle itself - WE8MSWIN1251
> NLS_LANG, for example,
> Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251
>
> 2) Under Unix: WE8ISO8859P5
> NLS_LANG, for example,
> Russian.Russia.WE8ISO8859P5
>
> --
> Regards,
> Paul Gorodyansky
> "Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
> http://RusWin.net
> Russian On-screen Keyboard:http://Kbd.RusWin.net

Couple of corrections are due:

Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251 should actually be
Russian_Russia.CL8MSWIN1251. Same is true for the Unix version except
charset name as it's correct this time. Russian_CIS can also be used
as Language_Territory.

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev
N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
http://www.dynamicpsp.com

From: paulgor on
On Jan 30, 10:24 pm, "Vladimir M. Zakharychev"
<vladimir.zakharyc...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 31, 8:56 am, paul...(a)compuserve.com wrote:
>

> > On Jan 23, 8:00 pm, athr...(a)gmail.com wrote:
>
> > > currently i am using the NLS_LANG charcater set value as
> > > "_.WE8ISO8859P1". i would like to know if it support the Cyrillic
> > > character set.
>
> > No, it does not.
>
> > Cyrillic character set has all ASCII symbols (including English
> > alphabet), so if you don't have say German or French data, you can use
> > one of these Cyrillic encoding in Oracle itlself (you must do it) and
> > NLS_LANG
>
> > 1) Under Windows: Oracle itself - WE8MSWIN1251
> > NLS_LANG, for example,
> > Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251
>
> > 2) Under Unix: WE8ISO8859P5
> > NLS_LANG, for example,
> > Russian.Russia.WE8ISO8859P5
>
> > --
> > Regards,
> > Paul Gorodyansky
> > "Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
> > http://RusWin.net
> > Russian On-screen Keyboard:http://Kbd.RusWin.net
>
> Couple of corrections are due:
>
> Russian.Russia.WE8MSWIN1251 should actually be
> Russian_Russia.CL8MSWIN1251.

Thanks! It's 2nd time I made such mistake - while taking WE8ISO... I
foget replace "WE" which is "Western European character set" :) while
it has to be "CL" ("Cyrillic character set").

> Same is true for the Unix version except
> charset name as it's correct this time.

So under Unix it's still "WE" and not "CL"?

> Russian_CIS can also be used as Language_Territory.

O, thanks.

--
Regards,
Paul