From: Bill on
Hello.

One of our online apps uses DBMS_LDAP to authenticate with Active
Directory. The DBMS_LDAP is in the database itself, and I was
wondering if it would be worthwhile to somehow offload this somewhere
else or would the network travel to and from another server negate any
benefits.

Management in their wisdom, have decided to tell everyone to log in at
pretty much the same time.

Is there any associated tuning that might help?

If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,

Ed.
From: Bill on
Sorry, forgot to mention, we're on 10.2.0.4 Red Hat AS 5.3.

From: Vladimir M. Zakharychev on
On Mar 27, 9:47 pm, Bill <billshatne...(a)googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello.
>
> One of our online apps uses DBMS_LDAP to authenticate with Active
> Directory. The DBMS_LDAP is in the database itself, and I was
> wondering if it would be worthwhile to somehow offload this somewhere
> else or would the network travel to and from another server negate any
> benefits.
>
> Management in their wisdom, have decided to tell everyone to log in at
> pretty much the same time.
>
> Is there any associated tuning that might help?
>
> If anyone can help with this I'd really appreciate it.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ed.

What kind of problem are you trying to solve? Is it a performance
issue? If it is - how did you come to the conclusion that DBMS_LDAP is
to blame? Did you instrument your code to see where time is wasted?

The more information you provide, the higher is the chance someone
will suggest something helpful.

Regards,
Vladimir M. Zakharychev
N-Networks, makers of Dynamic PSP(tm)
http://www.dynamicpsp.com
From: Bill on
Hi, yes it's a performance issue.

Last year we hit max processes. This I believe was because it wasn't
releasing the connections to AD fast enough.

Unfortunately, I didn't get an opportunity at the time to see where
the resources were being used, though our UNIX admin said there that
from the OS point of view, most of the CPU was being used for the
binding to AD accounts.

From: Frank van Bortel on
Bill wrote:
> Hi, yes it's a performance issue.
>
> Last year we hit max processes. This I believe was because it wasn't
> releasing the connections to AD fast enough.
>
> Unfortunately, I didn't get an opportunity at the time to see where
> the resources were being used, though our UNIX admin said there that
> from the OS point of view, most of the CPU was being used for the
> binding to AD accounts.

Which were probably due to the number of sessions. Not running with
multiple dispatchers, are you?
If you were, one (of a few) dispatchers would handle all connections.
Now - every connection is a dedicated process

--

Regards, Frank van Bortel

Topposting in Usenet groups I regard as offensive - I will not reply