From: Greegor on
G > Didn't they used to use smaller capacitors
G > to reduce arcing at brushes on DC motors?

TW > Not to reduce arcing -- those are more to
TW > suppress the EMI generated by the motor,
TW > by preventing the motor leads from
TW > becoming nice antennae.

Thanks!
From: JosephKK on

You need to do your physics better.
From: JosephKK on
On Sun, 1 Aug 2010 20:49:41 -0700 (PDT), "cbarn24050(a)aol.com"
<cbarn24050(a)aol.com> wrote:

>On Jul 28, 5:05�am, "mook johnson" <m...(a)mook.net> wrote:
>> <hon...(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message

>> >I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean
>> > all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor
>> > and a bridge rectifier. �I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of
>> > way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a
>> > capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.
>>
>> > Now I know that even if this does improve how it runs, the improvement
>> > won't be very much, if even at all. �I used to have two 2900uF/200V
>> > capacitors around, but I'm afraid they may have been thrown out. �So
>> > my question is, do you think this is even worth doing, or will it be a
>> > waste of time? �I don't know much about electric machines, but can
>> > readily design a power supply or embedded system. �I also am well
>> > aware of the safety issues with regard to high voltages and exploding
>> > capacitors, and possibly putting a lot of stress on the bridge at
>> > startup. �I can deal with those.
>>
>> > What I want to know is, would doing this help anything?
>>
>> You'll get about 15% more RPM from the motor. �Not worth fooling with if you
>> ask me.
>
>depends on the load, no load = same speed

Not if there is a different voltage applied.

From: JosephKK on
On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:35:05 -0700 (PDT), Greegor <greegor47(a)gmail.com>
wrote:

>Didn't they used to use smaller capacitors
>to reduce arcing at brushes on DC motors?

It was done to reduce EMI, it changed commutator arcing to lower
voltages and currents in some cases.
From: Jamie on
JosephKK wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Aug 2010 10:35:05 -0700 (PDT), Greegor <greegor47(a)gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>>Didn't they used to use smaller capacitors
>>to reduce arcing at brushes on DC motors?
>

> It was done to reduce EMI, it changed commutator arcing to lower
> voltages and currents in some cases.
Interpole type DC motors bring the arching down on the brushes with
out losing too much efficiency..