From: hondgm on
I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean
all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor
and a bridge rectifier. I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of
way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a
capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.

Now I know that even if this does improve how it runs, the improvement
won't be very much, if even at all. I used to have two 2900uF/200V
capacitors around, but I'm afraid they may have been thrown out. So
my question is, do you think this is even worth doing, or will it be a
waste of time? I don't know much about electric machines, but can
readily design a power supply or embedded system. I also am well
aware of the safety issues with regard to high voltages and exploding
capacitors, and possibly putting a lot of stress on the bridge at
startup. I can deal with those.

What I want to know is, would doing this help anything?
From: mook johnson on

<hondgm(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean
> all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor
> and a bridge rectifier. I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of
> way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a
> capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.
>
> Now I know that even if this does improve how it runs, the improvement
> won't be very much, if even at all. I used to have two 2900uF/200V
> capacitors around, but I'm afraid they may have been thrown out. So
> my question is, do you think this is even worth doing, or will it be a
> waste of time? I don't know much about electric machines, but can
> readily design a power supply or embedded system. I also am well
> aware of the safety issues with regard to high voltages and exploding
> capacitors, and possibly putting a lot of stress on the bridge at
> startup. I can deal with those.
>
> What I want to know is, would doing this help anything?

You'll get about 15% more RPM from the motor. Not worth fooling with if you
ask me.

Might be better off with a variac and a large conductor extension cord. ;)

From: whit3rd on
On Jul 27, 5:23 pm, hon...(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean
> all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor
> and a bridge rectifier.  I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of
> way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a
> capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.

Probably not. The rotor/blade mass acts as a flywheel, is pretty
effective. You'd have more effect on the motor noise than on
the speed or power (it'd hum softer).
From: Spehro Pefhany on
On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:05:00 -0500, "mook johnson" <mook(a)mook.net>
wrote:

><hondgm(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean
>> all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor
>> and a bridge rectifier. I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of
>> way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a
>> capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.
>>
>> Now I know that even if this does improve how it runs, the improvement
>> won't be very much, if even at all. I used to have two 2900uF/200V
>> capacitors around, but I'm afraid they may have been thrown out. So
>> my question is, do you think this is even worth doing, or will it be a
>> waste of time? I don't know much about electric machines, but can
>> readily design a power supply or embedded system. I also am well
>> aware of the safety issues with regard to high voltages and exploding
>> capacitors, and possibly putting a lot of stress on the bridge at
>> startup. I can deal with those.
>>
>> What I want to know is, would doing this help anything?
>

>You'll get about 15% more RPM from the motor. Not worth fooling with if you
>ask me.

A very large capacitor would give almost pi/2 => 57% more voltage.

The motor could overheat.

From: Grant on
On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 14:46:01 -0400, Spehro Pefhany <speffSNIP(a)interlogDOTyou.knowwhat> wrote:

>On Tue, 27 Jul 2010 23:05:00 -0500, "mook johnson" <mook(a)mook.net>
>wrote:
>

>><hondgm(a)yahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>I have an electric lawn mower that, upon taking the cover off to clean
>>> all the grass junk out, discovered it uses a permanent magnet DC motor
>>> and a bridge rectifier. I started thinking, in a Tim Taylor sort of
>>> way (you know, the sitcom Home Improvement) that maybe putting a
>>> capacitor across the motor would give it slightly more power.
>>>
>>> Now I know that even if this does improve how it runs, the improvement
>>> won't be very much, if even at all. I used to have two 2900uF/200V
>>> capacitors around, but I'm afraid they may have been thrown out. So
>>> my question is, do you think this is even worth doing, or will it be a
>>> waste of time? I don't know much about electric machines, but can
>>> readily design a power supply or embedded system. I also am well
>>> aware of the safety issues with regard to high voltages and exploding
>>> capacitors, and possibly putting a lot of stress on the bridge at
>>> startup. I can deal with those.
>>>
>>> What I want to know is, would doing this help anything?
>>

>>You'll get about 15% more RPM from the motor. Not worth fooling with if you
>>ask me.
>
>A very large capacitor would give almost pi/2 => 57% more voltage.
>
>The motor could overheat.

You need to allow for higher than normal line resistance on the
peak current charging the cap would cause?

Grant.